Changing To Linux (probably for ever) The Hurdles

Sorry for taking fooooorrrrrrr eeevvvvveeeeeerrrr with replying with some videos. I would edit my post to include them but then I would not know if you would see them. I had a couple in mind that I thought were great quality but after re watching them I thought otherwise. So I went and found alternatives. I am sure others can recommend their favorites as well.

Originally I was going to go with this Australian guy. But he is doing it in a live environment in front of a crowd so its done at a really slow pace.

There is this guy that covers the same stuff but at a faster pace.

Both guys have more then this one video for tutorials and stuff. After re watching the videos, I would go with the second one.

There is also this guy and this video he did is an hour long, only tho because he did not break the episode into many smaller episodes like the two above did. But what sucks is he does not have time stamps for the video.

1 Like

I have this problem too... I have two mice that I love -- Gamdius Erebos, which is my favorite mouse, and a G402 Hyperion Fury! Neither is customizable in GNU/Linux! And no official/unofficial support either.

I dont know about the G402, but every other logi I have can use on board memory for profile storage. My G500 works without issue in every distro I have tried, after initially setting it up in wandows of course.

Its a shame no one has made anything to interface with the G series yet. I suspect that might change with the push for more gaming oriented distros.

For me the biggest annoyances in linux relate to its unpolishednes, small things like num lock led not turning off when I shutdown the computer drive me crazy

Well, be sure to post about it here, I'm curious to hear how it turns out!

Oh yeah... if you are willing to boot into Windows, set some profile and then boot back into GNU/Linux, then it works just fine. I was just thinking out loud about lack of native customization support.

Thank you for the hints and advices, the problem I have had with VLC was not reloading the subtitles, but it's too slow rewinding. I tried to find a way of making it work but the proposed solutions seemed not to work for most people, so i didn't even tried, (it involved terminal stuff).
I installed Ubuntu Gnome, I'll try to keep this as my OS, and make it work as i need and want.

I'm a little (a lot) skeptic about a distro that solve my problems. And I don't want to enter a cycle of trying all distros. I rather make this one work as best as i can make it. But thank you, any way. I'll have a look on others distros.

Kubuntu isn't really a distro change, it's just ubuntu with KDE, which in my experience is more consistent and harder to break than cinnamon, mate, unity etc. and more familiar if you're moving from a windows environment.

Sometimes the underlying system in a certain distro breaks standards or best practices to achieve a certain effect -- Canonical is notorious for doing this. I'm not saying try every distro out there, just try one that has better standards when it comes to maintaining their installations

1 Like

Since I've already installed Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.1, I'll try to make the most of it, already broke and restored (I think) some stuff. I'll keep posting stuff here since I have a small list of customizations/problems to fix (probably its gonna grow).

I'll have a look and think about it, not really interested on trying every distro, and then choose one.

I don't have a .icons folder on the home, I looked with show hidden files enabled.

I have this mouse for six years, i like this design so much that I have a spare still in the box. I would rather make this one work than look for another that I like, and this one was cheap (30€) for this kind of mouse, I've customized it a little and haven't break yet.

I feel your pain.

None of the media players I user MPV GMONE-MPV VLC have that problem. seems strange. Most of the time Im pressing V to turn the subtitles off.

@SolitaryOwlet @Zoltan

I was 3/4 trolling, 1/8 honest, and 100% for real.

2 Likes

What percent power of will/skill was it though?

2 Likes

I'm sure it was 20% skill and 15% concentrated power of will

3 Likes

Not really a percent - more of a cube.

PS how can I like comments twice

two words: sock puppets

Create it ;)

im using the g402 and when i set the custom profiles in any windows machine at all they stay across all machines i use windows or linux. there is a button by the thumb you can press and then change the dpi with the two buttons by the pointer. whatever custom dpi you set in windows moves over to linux with no fiddling. the windows machine can be a library, internet cafe, or school if you dont have one.

Somewhere on this forum, probably in a CS:GO thread, more than a year ago, I posted a thread about how to configure your mouse (any mouse, and I use Logitech G400s for CS:GO myself) in Linux, including polling rate, resolution options, etc... it is actually very simple, and also very clever, since the different modes are just numbered in Linux, so even if a mouse does not declare to the operating system what it's actual polling rate and resolution is, Linux will still be able to set and change the modes, regardless of what they are. Some people were really thinking when they developed that part.

2 Likes

That is clever!