Changing PCI slots in Linux

Recently I tried to install a second GPU under Mint 19 and failed miserably. I learned that this is a futile effort in Linux and decided to move on with my life.

During that process however, I had to move my sound card down one slot and found that although the proper sound adapter was selected and configured within the Sound control panel under Control Center, sound still wasn’t working.

Moving the sound card back to its original slot got things working again.

What should I look for in the future if I need to move a card from one slot to another and I don’t feel like reinstalling the OS to get it working?

Thanks in advance if anybody knows what was going on here.

Hi, both my GPU’ s work in Linux, but not with SLI

When you changed the slot, did it boot to bios, or fail to boot linux? Or boot, but no output?

I have 3 slots PCIE slots, when I installed a GTX 550 under my GTX 1080, I had to move my sound card down to slot 3.

Then, all three were detected at the command line with LSPCI (i forget the exact command), but X Server didn’t see the video card, and even though the sound control panel saw the sound blaster there was still no sound from any app.

I thought I might have to re-install the sound card driver but I couldn’t see a way to do that.

I’m hoping someone here knows where to start troubleshooting the sound card issue so if I have to move things around in the future I can do it successfully.

you shouldn;lt have to re-install a driver that the system already has; it doesn;t install drivers to slots- it associated drivers to the hardware id.

as for GPU, it looks like your system boots into linux, to get the command line, but you say there is no output on any socket on either GPU?
then from the command line, you could try to pourge the x server, and re-install, but I don’t think that will work.

What distro are you using?

for me, I can set a “Prefered” GPU in the bios, as a main output, and then when I get to the desktop, with will use the main gpu, and show the dektop on the main GPU’s output.
When I have several GPU’s enabled, and a screen plugged in to the secondary GPU, i get the desktop streatched from the main GPU’s monitor onto the secondary one.

Are you wanting multiple displays, or something like GPU passthrough?
Because if passthrough, you can blacklist one GPU and only let Linux use the other, without re-installing X, then the system will only have 1 GPU to output to, so no conflict?
this is possible with the CLI / terminal.

Oh, and you have tried Ctl+Alt+F1 and F7 in case it is going to the wrong tty on boot?

Not so concerned about the video card, I still get to the Mint Mate desktop, X server just doesn’t see my second card which i’ve read is typical due to poor multi GPU support under Linux. Whatever, I’m not willing to devote the time to something that smarter people than me are still complaining about on forums.

What I am curious about is where to check for information on why my sound card was detected but not functioning.

In a Windows I’d generally go to the device manager, but Linux Mint lacks a consolidated resource in the GUI (that I’m aware of) for hardware status, so I came here hoping for an answer on what others might do to troubleshoot the sound issue.

The video card is a peripheral matter I’m not willing to punish myself with right now.

1 Like

[edited:] Fair enough on the GPU card side, Didn’t mean to push.
Might you lost the entry you get for the card on with
lspci -vnk
maybe the make/model of it in case a Mint person can help?
Also the choices that you can choose for sound device under the control panel option, (if there is one?)

And I presume you have tried a few things like the guy here tried?

like, if it was detected, is it listed as an option, but doesn;t work or something, that’s what I was getting at.

I’ll step aside and get out of your way, I think I’m just winding you up now

Problem solved.

This time I tried again without the GTX 550 installed in the slot the sound card used to be installed in, and the sound works fine.

Perhaps its related to the video card being in the slot previously occupied by the sound card.

Thanks for your advice!

1 Like

well done making a work around!

What was the motherboard brand? Because Gigabyte are the only mobo manufacturer to my knowledge that allow you to choose which PCI-E slot is the boot GPU.

The GTX 550 would favor Nouveau, and the 1080 would favor proprietary drivers.

If you need more display outputs, on the proprietary Nvidia drivers, MST hubs are a better solution than using 2 GPUs, since it doesn’t screw around with trying to run X on a separate GPU.