Changing GPU drivers AMD to Nvidia

Hello,

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 and have an easy question, switching from R9 290x to GTX 1080 and before I start replacing cards should I do something special, or just deleting amd drivers and putting in nvidia card be enough? Or maybe its worst case scenario and I need to reinstall OS? This question should be easy for people who test gpus I think.

On Linux, you won’t have the same problems with switching GPUs as you will on Linux. The kernel automatically determines which module to load (in 99% of cases, yours included) and simply doesn’t bother to load the others.

I’m not really clear on why windows runs into problems, but it just isn’t a problem on Linux. So, you can just drop the gpu in, and at worst, you might need to install the proprietary drivers and fuss with the display config.

2 Likes

Thank you for a fast reply.

Any time!

I wanted to pre-install nvidia driver before I swapped my old AMD card with my 1050 Ti to make it easier. So I did so, apart from the part where I actually install the driver :joy:. Installed the libs and nvidia tools but not the actual driver, Funny part is that everything still worked 1080p software through the GPU. I didn’t even notice that there was no nvidia driver till I tried to open up nvidia panel thing. :woman_facepalming: Oh and I didn’t delete the AMDGPU drivers.

Anyways the point is, you can literally just swap them and it should be fine. Well, anecdotally speaking. :wink:

Speaking from an architectural standpoint as well. Linux is designed that way :stuck_out_tongue: