Changing default install directory on secondary HDD?

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post, but it seemed like a fairly relevant area...

I just finished putting together my computer and I have a 250 SSD and a 1 Tb HDD. I have my OS on the SSD, but I'm not sure how to set the default installation path for things to go to the HDD. Would really appreciate as detailed instructions as possible.

EDIT: spelling error

What OS?

Windows 7 Ultimate.

For the registry hack:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows To change the registry, follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit” in the search All programs.
2. Locate the following:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.
4. Click OK and Exit.

Be careful when messing in the registry; you fkn up there could brick your system!

You might also want to change the default home directory, as windows will save all your user specific data there.

1 Like

Do I need to do this for both the 64 bit regedit and 32 bit? since some programs are 32 and some are 64 ( not exactly sure if that makes a difference)

P.s. I initially edited the 64 bit, but 32 bit is default when you search in start menu so when I went back to look at it, it wasn't changed. I looked up the 64 bit version and THAT one stayed changed. This leads me to believe they both affect something different.

Yeah you need to change that in both versions of regedit it seems.

Don't mean to be a pain, but like you said it could prove detrimental if I mess something up in there... Should I be changing everything that has a path of C:\ to my other drive preference or just the one that was quoted?

I am currently not on a windows machine; so I do not know what else there is pointing to C:\
For changing what you initially requested this oneline should be sufficient

This is what mine shows.

na just the program files related ones

You wouldn't happen to have knowledge on how to do this too, would you?

I could google it for you again; but it involves creating a new user, as its not working for excisting ones