Challenge: Find a linux distro that works

Try Debian Etch if you still can. (4.0 LOL)

does it work on non pae cpu's?

yes get x86 its non pae by default

which one here would be correct http://ftp.riken.go.jp/Linux/debian/debian-cdimage/archive/

I think back in those days I used fedora and Gnome

Installed , failed to load. error 18

Another distro to add to the pile

FreeBSD probably with some very tiny lightweight desktop ontop, but its not linux.

1 Like

I'll second NetBSD, it's the lightest thing I can think of that will still let you run an X server. You can choose to install X11 during the installation process, so getting up and running should be pretty straightforward from there.

2 Likes

Both OpenBSD and NetBSD have X11 as an option in the installer, so it's actually pretty easy. If you can figure how to start X, you shouldn't have any problem.

Try ARCH :D

Gentoo is pretty low-level to get working but arch should be JUST custom enough to satisfy your needs.

It starts out command line for the install, but once you get GNOME on there (or GNOME 2 if the requirements are too high for that) it's golden :)

Try tiny core. I have it running on a hp t5135 with 128mb ram. It's 15 mb.

Because one failure is clearly not worth diagnosing from the error corde. If its so esoteric why the heck are you keeping it around? I am sorry but I have to make this point

Exactly like she said. you will probably even be looking at solaris if you have to. Or oracle linux.

Ok,

I kinda like the challenge idea, but I feel two ways about it. 1st I feel is that give you hatred of terminal and newness to linux would you might be better suited to owning a Raspberry Pi as even the older model smash the system specs. Also if you are successful in installing linux what are you going to use if for ? it would be a pain to get it to work to find the your hardware wont support the software you plan to run on it. 2nd if Phuk-it linux is installable on anything (save hardware faults) you it might not be a click as install "Windows experience" that you wanted in your last post. YOU MAY HAVE TO USE TERMINAL Ohh NOoooo :-P

So mate this doesn't make any sense to me. If would be help if you actually tolds us what the errors where or some kind of example.

You have said that Vector didnt work. Can I confirm that you were using the Vector Light 7.1 ?
Secondly are you checksum your download and verify you burns when you create the CD ? I recommend burn as no more than 2x speed.

Tell us a bit more about why you are on this crusade ?

where's the fun in that? lol

vector also wanted pae support which is a no go.

Most were just stopping. Half way through the install you'd get a blinking cursor on a black screen with nothing happening , no disk spinning , no hdd loading , keys do nothing.

Some gave PAE errors

Some would install fine and not load the os.

Some would install and run and turn out to be command line and I didn't feel like using it.

Some will get various errors related to the graphics.

I google these errors and usually get little to no results so I end up skipping trying the OS due to lack of support of any kind for it.

I already checked the error and it's related to the size of the drive. After repartitioning it the os did install and boot to a prompt at which time it did nothing. Whatever it loaded into didn't really look like it was working correctly.

LOL doesnt surprise me man. While its a cool challenge youd be better off laying the poor old girl to rest. Shes well past her time man.

But you can install lubuntu without pae. just add forcepae to the kernel boot argument. --->http://askubuntu.com/questions/450400/install-lubuntu-14-04-lts-on-a-non-pae-processor

1 Like

"Look I know you have this extra computer you are playing around with , but throw it away" lol

i suppose I could try that but I'd prefer an os that just worked. we'll see what happens