Chain's computar projects

The idea is to use the external monitor just for the initial setup(I have a 12 inch fullHD display that I got for free, it was broken but I’ve fixed it), and later on rely exclusively on RDP.
I’ll admit that the whole endeavour is a bit of a gamble, but I’d say that I’m about 70% confident that the passthrough will work. There are some guides on how to do that on laptops and, although there are no guarantees, many of them mention that higher end gear should work fine. People have done that on Lenovo Legion laptops, so I’m hopeful.

1 Like

FWIW I don’t see any problems in your approach.
I’m looking to upgrade my whole VDI setup hopefully soon and am also planning on using an A2000 so I’m going to keep an eye on this.

1 Like

Post installation - initial setup

After booting up for the first time I want to bring up the network, add the user, switch from sudo to doas, install mksh.

Network

After booting into the fresh install the network won’t work - that’s because the dhcpcd isn’t running, so we start it up:

# ln -s /etc/sv/dhcpcd /var/service/

Install mksh

# xbps-install -S mksh

Adding the main user

# useradd -m -s /bin/mksh -U -G wheel,users,audio,video,cdrom,input chain
# passwd chain

Switch from sudo to doas

First we install doas

# xbps-install -S opendoas

Now we set it up so that anyone in wheel group can execute stuff as root. We’ll also allow anyone in wheel to poweroff and reboot the system without being prompted for a password.

# echo -e "permit persist :wheel\npermit nopass :wheel as root cmd poweroff\npermit nopass :wheel as root cmd reboot" > /etc/doas.conf
# chown -c root:root /etc/doas.conf
# chmod -c 0400 /etc/doas.conf
doas.conf should look like so

permit persist :wheel
permit nopass :wheel as root cmd poweroff
permit nopass :wheel as root cmd reboot

At this point it’s prudent to test it, because if we’ve made a mistake here(like a typo) we might get in trouble later after we disable the root account login.

# doas -C /etc/doas.conf && echo "config ok" || echo "config error" 

If that works then we can proceed.

At this point we’ll add sudo to the list of ignored packages and remove it, and fake its presence by creating a symlink:

# echo "ignorepkg=sudo" > /etc/xbps.d/ignore_sudo.conf 
# xbps-remove sudo
# ln -s /usr/bin/doas /usr/bin/sudo

Disable root account login

doas passwd --lock root

Install extra console fonts and increase font size to 16x32 (this is needed specifically for HiDPI displays)

doas zfs set org.zfsbootmenu:commandline="ro quiet fbcon=font:TER16x32" zroot/ROOT
doas xbps-install -S terminus-font
doas echo "FONT=ter-232b.psf.gz" >> /etc/rc.conf
1 Like

Setting up mksh

Because we’ve installed mksh first, and created the user account later, the home directory should already contain .mkshrc file, but if it doesn’t we can copy it over:

cp /etc/skel/.mkshrc ~/

Afterwards we probably want to modify it somewhat. Open it in your favourite editor and add stuff before the line that says:

\: place customisations above this line 

This is what I’ve added to my .mkshrc:

builtin set -U 
HISTFILE=~/.history
HISTSIZE=5120 

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias reboot='doas reboot'
alias poweroff='doas poweroff'

ufetch

Obviously ufetch won’t work if it’s not installed on the system:

doas xbps-install -S ufetch
1 Like

Librewolf installation and update script

Since void linux maintainers refuse to package unpopular browsers(which is understandable, they’re already short handed when it comes to maintainers, and building packages that barely anyone would use isn’t the most reasonable use of their resources), you can either use an Appimage, flatpack, install it through nixpkgs, build it from source yourself, or do what I did.

So this is the script that I use to install and update librewolf on void linux.
librewolf_update.sh.txt (1.2 KB)

It requires curl and xdeb to work. It works by going to the official librewolf debian(bullseye) repository, takes the latest available version and downloads it, converts it to xbps package format and installs it. Very simple stuff, but it works.

I didn’t spend too much time working on this script, so I’m sure it can be improved, but here’s the source:

#!/bin/bash
REPOURL="https://deb.librewolf.net/pool/bullseye/main/libr/librewolf/"
LATEST=$( curl -s $REPOURL | grep -o '"librewolf.*deb" ' | sed s/\"//g | sort -r -V | head -1 )
INSTALLED_VER=$( xbps-query -p pkgver librewolf )
LATEST_VER=$( echo $LATEST | sed -e 's/_/-/1' -e 's/_.*\.deb//' | rev | sed -e 's/-/_/1' | rev )
#LATEST=$( curl -s https://deb.librewolf.net/pool/bullseye/main/libr/librewolf/ | grep -o '"librewolf.*deb" ' | sed s/\"//g | sort -r -V | head -1 )

if [ -z $INSTALLED_VER ] || [ $INSTALLED_VER != $LATEST_VER ]; then 
	curl -C - -O $REPOURL$LATEST
	TEMP=$( mktemp )
	xdeb -Sedr --arch=x86_64 ./$LATEST | tee $TEMP
	INSTALL_CMD=$( grep "Install using" $TEMP | cut -d '`' -f 2 )
	rm $TEMP

while true; do
	read -p "Do you want to install the package now? (y/n) " yn 
	case $yn in 
		[yY] ) doas $INSTALL_CMD;
			break;;
		[nN] ) exit;; 
		* ) echo invalid response;; 
	esac 
	done

while true; do 
	read -p "Do you want to clean up? (y/n) " yn 
	case $yn in 
		[yY] ) xdeb -Cbq ./$LATEST;
			break;;
		[nN] ) exit;;
		* ) echo invalid response;; 
	esac 
	done

#	xdeb -Cbq ./$LATEST
else 
	echo "Latest available version already installed."
fi
#echo $INSTALLED_VER
#echo $LATEST_VER
2 Likes

So at this point I’ve completed the first two steps of my plan for this thing. The procedure was tested in a virtual machine, and everything seems to work great, so I have a basic Void Linux Install ready to go in a VM. The thing is that setting up X and pipewire will differ on real hardware, so I’m not sure if I should continue with the VM, or switch to working on actual hardware at this point.

Some other thoughts that I have.
I’ve tried setting up pipe wire in my VM and it’s kind of a mess. I can make it work, but not with wireplumber, and because I don’t use any seat management rtkit has problems setting nice levels. But do I really need seat management? Really? It’s a laptop for Christ’s sake! And honestly the whole seat management thing seems to me like a solution looking for a problem. Of course I could skip seat management and pipewire altogether and go with alsa, but that’s another set of problems(again - it’s a laptop, so I expect to plug and unplug audio devices from which makes the alsa approach even more complicated than it would otherwise be).

Also dbus annoys me. Having to put:

dbus-run-session dwm

in .xinitrc is idiotic.

1 Like

A man of culture, I see. I assume you already know of hrmpf.

I used this to install Void on ZFS on my TR box that serves as my virtualization and gaming PC. I’m using the recommended rEFInd bootloader, unfortunately my 2nd boot partition needs rsync-ing manually, but that is ok with me. I have NVME ZFS mirror, but the boot partition is ext4 and boot-efi is vfat (on each SSD), so the secondary drive needs manual updating of the files.

You could use GRUB, but do you really want to?
I see you used gummiboot efistub.

How much more based can this guy be? I use oksh, but mksh is nice too.

Note: to uninstall sudo and bash, add in /etc/xbps.d/xbps.conf

ignorepkg=sudo
ignorepkg=bash

Then xbps-remove -Ro bash sudo. Besides neofetch, I never had issues with removing bash, as the system using dash as the default shell.

Pipewire works. I use sway, can’t comment on xorg, but it’s xorg, of course it works.

Not hard to do, just a dracut away. Add to /etc/dracut.conf.d/vfio.conf

dd_dracutmodules+=" vfio "
force_drivers+=" vfio vfio-pci vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_virqfd "
install_items="/etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf /usr/sbin/vfio-pci-override.sh /usr/bin/find /usr/bin/dirname"

Add to /etc/dracut.conf.d/zol.conf

nofsck="yes"
add_dracutmodules+=" zfs "
omit_dracutmodules+=" btrfs "

To /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf

options vfio-pci ids=id:1,id:2,id:etc

To /usr/sbin/vfio-pci-override.sh

#!/bin/sh
PREREQS=""
DEVS="id:1 id:2 id:etc"

for DEV in $DEVS; do
    echo "vfio-pci" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$DEV/driver_override
done

modprobe -i vfio-pci

I have some other things I could share, but they don’t come to mind now.

I will take some time later to read everything here.

2 Likes

Limited to x86? Sure. Assumes glibc? I used hrmpf to install the musl version of Void and it works just fine.

Before I forget, to get VMs going, in order to get VMs to run in libvirt, I need to

echo 1 > /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs

I do this on each startup, I should put it in rc.local. Without this, VMs just don’t start.

That is generally applicable for any ZFS pool.

I don’t know what this is, I wish I could help. Pipewire works fine for me on the RPi with HDMI audio. I haven’t tested on my TR box. I had sway running on it at some point, but it became headless after I passed through the GPU.

Not even seatd? I wish my setup would go this minimal, but sway would just refuse to start without one. Initially I had elogind (been using it for a long time), but since seatd came along, it got better. Some time ago, I used to just create my own /run/user/1000 directory and chown and chmod it in a startup script, but after some time, sway just refused to work without a seat management.

Agreed.

Firefox dropped support for alsa altogether, you can’t use it without pulseaudio. I suppose this is the same for librewolf. I use FF with pipewire-pulse. Some people had success in making it work with apulse, but I couldn’t make it to work, so I just succumbed. With pipewire and seatd, things have been stable and not making me go bald anymore.

Oh, you tell me? Last time I tried to get rid of it altogether, I hate it. But I had things not work because of that, because so many stuff integrate with it. For example, without dbus, mako (my wayland notification pop-up utility) doesn’t work. And I use mako to get thunderbird notifications. Initially I was planning to use mako + notify-send to show notifications for updates, but I got a better solution by doing it in swaybar.

Speaking of the update notifications, it is a bit janky, but it works. I have this script in root’s crontab to run every couple of hours

/usr/bin/xbps-install -S
/usr/bin/xbps-install -Su --dry-run | /usr/bin/wc -l > /tmp/updates.txt

First sync the repo, then dry-run update. If the amount of lines is higher then 0, updates are available. I have this in my swaybar script that just echos the variable bellow

VAR_UPDATES_AVAILABLE=$(cat /tmp/updates.txt)
[ ${VAR_UPDATES_AVAILABLE} -eq 0 ] && VAR_UPDATE_INFO="up-to-date ✅" || VAR_UPDATE_INFO="updates-available 🔄"

Oh… Well, I guess you have your own issues.

In all honesty, Void in VMs has never worked well for me, but when I actually put it on real hardware, it just works and it works very well! I tried doing a Void gaming VM using the glibc version, but I can’t get it to show any output on my second GPU.

I just bought 2 USB PCI-E cards and will pass those through to VMs (I got 2 GPUs and now 2 USB cards, I have a Gigabyte monitor with a built-in 2-port KVM switch), I will be verifying the vfio IDs once again, although my PC doesn’t output anything when it finally boots into the system, so I’d think the driver is blacklisted properly. In all honesty, for a gaming VM, I was planning to use something like Artix s6, or maybe use Fedora again, but I’d really like to get Void to work as a VM. I can SSH into it just fine, but I can’t do much on it. I know that the bootup process is hanging a bit because of the GPU, it does have some errors, I never managed to fix it.

Well, the hrmpf isos are 64-bit only, and what I meant by “assumes glibc” is that the steps that I’ve documented are for installing the glibc version of Void, thus glibc is assumed. Of course you’re right and the steps can be easily modified to install the musl version.

If you do this every time, wouldn’t adding kvm.ignore_msrs =1 to your kernel commandline work better?

By default pipewire on Void uses pipewire-media-session as it’s session and policy manager. I’ve read that it’s an example implementation and they’re planning to deprecate it in favour of wireplumber(which you can switch to right now). The thing is that wireplumber doesn’t work in a VM for some reason.

I made it work without seatd in my VM, but honestly I’m not 100% sure yet if I’ll run it this way or just install seatd. The thing is that I don’t need any of that stuff. The only benefit I’d get from installing seatd would be not having to edit several config files, which isn’t that big of deal anyway. I’ll have to think about it.

That was my initial plan as well.

Some people have tried running a modern desktops without dbus, but I think that Gentoo is most conductive to such modifications. Why don’t we all use plan9 plumber instead of dbus again?

Nice!

I wasn’t even sure if they way I intend to install it will work, so I decided to try it in a VM first, and if it works just repeat the steps with real hardware. Amazingly everything works perfectly, so I’ll be moving on to the actual installation soon.

1 Like

Now that you point it out, I didn’t realize it was a kernel config. Well, I should have realized it, it is kvm… The only problem?

$ cat modules.sh 
#!/bin/sh
echo 1 > /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs

$ cat /sys/module/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs 
Y

$ doas sysctl -a | grep -i msr
$ doas sysctl -n kvm.ignore_msrs
sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/kvm/ignore_msrs: error code 2

$ doas sysctl -n kvm.parameters.ignore_msrs
sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/kvm/parameters/ignore_msrs: error code 2

The kernel looks into /proc, the parameter is in /sys.

ps -ef|grep pipe | grep -v grep
root       374   350  0 Oct09 ?        00:00:00 runsv pipewire
root       379   350  0 Oct09 ?        00:00:00 runsv pipewire-pulse
_pipewi+   387   374  0 Oct09 ?        00:00:00 pipewire
_pipewi+   388   379  0 Oct09 ?        00:00:00 pipewire-pulse
_pipewi+   418     1  0 Oct09 ?        00:00:03 /usr/bin/pipewire-media-session

Oh wow, ok, time to break my audio again.

I’m not familiar with plan9 stuff, but I heard it was pretty revolutionary, yet nobody uses it. If I was more technically apt, I would probably try it. Maybe in the future.

I’m glad you have a better experience than me. I managed to get Void on barely supported hardware, like Odroid N2+ and HC4 with some hacks and runs great on the RockPro64, not to mention in LXD it was always flawless (Void in LXD on Void on the RPi 4, my daily driver).

I also had it on the RPi 2, RPi 3 and before it was an official image, I built Void using piraty’s void_mklive git fork and have been running it since. The updates on xbps are so well executed that even using this unofficial image and going through a few kernel modification changes (on both the Pi 2 and the Pi 4, once the different kernel build for each Pi was made), the system is still going strong (and have had a recent upgrade from 5.10 to 5.15).

But running Void in a VM? I had plenty of desktop Void VMs before and they all were terrible. From being awfully slow, to having no GPU acceleration (so xorg JWM wouldn’t start, let alone sway / wayland), to not booting properly after kernel / initramfs updates, I only had terrible experiences. So I’m glad you are having it easier.

I still have Void headless VMs (one still has that issue with not booting anything other than kernel 5.9, even though all other VMs worked well with more recent kernels, exactly same config), but I’m planning to move to LXD on the N2+. Samba, Prometheus + Grafana and other stuff will just become containers.

I still prefer Void for its simplicity and because xbps and xbps-src are so amazeballs. If only I could get Void to run in modloop from the initramfs in a tmpfs, like Alpine diskless install does, I’d be the happiest. It is the only reason I use Alpine from time to time. Used to run Alpine on the RPi 3 for about 7-8 months, used it as a router, not having to write to the SD card is nice - replaced it with a RockPro64 2GB version as the router now.

Was planning to use OpenBSD, but it didn’t boot properly, so I moved to FreeBSD, but found out the USB WiFi 5 I have doesn’t have drivers for FreeBSD, so Void it is. It’s been running nice for a month or 2. Well, initially I had a 4GB version, but was barely using 134MB, so I got the this and the 4GB one will be a NAS. Got eMMC now, so running Void is not that big of a deal hardware-wise anymore.

I managed to get ZFS on Void on aarch64 after a lot of pain, but I went with FreeBSD on the NAS, just because ZFS is a first-class citizen there. And if drivers become available, I might move to OpenBSD on the router (probably in, idk, 3-4 years? maybe more, when they catch up). Still Void runs so well on the N2+, the RPi 4 and my TR, I really wouldn’t switch to anything else on these.

Yup. Looks like it.

PipeWire Media Session

PipeWire Media Session is an example session manager for PipeWire.

Note that we recommend the use of WirePlumber instead.

Still if it works - it works. I don’t think there’s any rush to switch over just yet.

Honestly I’m using VirtualBox, so that might explain why my Void VM works.

Alpine is an awesome distro as well, but I think that that Void is more suitable for daily driving on a desktop. I used to administer a server running OpenBSD, and it’s my favourite bsd flavour(or tied with NetBSD).

I intend to set up a fileserver running FreeBSD in the future though(same reason as you - ZFS), and I think that I’ll document that effort here as well.

1 Like

I installed it. Kept failing to start after I made the symlink to runsvdir. I had to manually kill the pipewire-media-session manually. It sems to work fine. I then rebooted, but the media session gets started automatically. Not ideal to have to kill it myself.

Just for the luls, I disabled the runit services and killed any remaining processes, sound still works somehow. Not sure if I want to deal with wireplumber. Since Void works fine with the symlinks, I will probably just keep it. Haven’t tried the pipewire.desktop thingy, but I don’t know if sway executes the XDG stuff (kinda doubt it).

It’s possible that pipewire starts pipewire-media-session automatically. It’s kind of important to track what gets started where(service? pipewire config? .xinitrc?).

You might find this and this usefull.

2 Likes

Right, it was taking default config from /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf, since the /etc/pipewire folder did not exist and the conf either. Modified that for plumber. Will have to reboot to see how it goes.

So, I’ve managed to replicate the installation on actual hardware. Obviously it’s partitioned a bit differently(96Gb swap :hushed: ).

There are some notes regarding hardware installation however.
First, connecting the wifi from commandline isn’t difficult, but these are extra steps that I had to take that weren’t documented earlier:

wpa_passphrase SSID PASSWORD >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf
wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf

Secondly, I should have installed the wireless-tools package along with the base install - I didn’t do that, so I had to boot from hrmpf again, import the zfs pool, mount the filesystem, and install it there that way.
After that was done the interface name was different so I had to check it before configuring wpa_supplicant.

Now on to step 3 - xorg, WM, audio, dwm, st, dwmblocks etc…

1 Like

Xorg and pipewire installation and configuration

Xorg installation was simple:

doas xbps-install -S xorg picom xterm fluxbox

Fluxbox was installed temporarily(or maybe I’ll leave it as backup).

At this point I needed scaling, so I’ve created .scale_display.sh:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 1 
xrandr --output eDP1 --scale 0.7499x0.7499

And this is how I’ve setup my .xinitrc:

picom -b 
~/.scale_display.sh &
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-x11 fluxbox

Pipewire with wireplumber

So I’ve tried several ways to make it work, and at this point I can’t make rtkit work. Apparently it’s pretty tightly integrated with elogind which I don’t intend to use, so rtkit warnings would most likely still show up even if I used seatd.

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

First we install dumb runtime dir:

xbps-install -S dumb_runtime_dir

Now we install pipewire and everything required to make it work(ffmpeg is needed to get sound in librewolf/firefox):

xbps-install -S dbus pipewire alsa-pipewire wireplumber pavucontrol ffmpeg

Enable dbus:

ln -s /etc/sv/dbus /var/service

Enable alsa integration:

mkdir -p /etc/alsa/conf.d
ln -s /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/50-pipewire.conf /etc/alsa/conf.d
ln -s /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/99-pipewire-default.conf /etc/alsa/conf.d

Configure pipewire:

mkdir -p /etc/pipewire
cp /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire.conf /etc/pipewire/

Now edit /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf so that the context.exec block looks like this:

context.exec = [
    { path = "/usr/bin/wireplumber" args = "" }
    { path = "/usr/bin/pipewire" args = "-c pipewire-pulse.conf" }
]

Done!
At this point we can start pipewire by adding pipewire & to our .xinitrc

Remaining issues

Disabling rtkit in pipewire.conf doesn’t solve the issue, neither does not installing or removing rtkit. I even tried modifying /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1.policy in accordance with this post, and tried creating the rules mentioned in the response to it as well, but no matter what rtkit keeps giving me error messages. At this point I’m not sure if rtkit is usable without elogind or even full blown systemd.

I’ve spent my free time(and not so free actually) to set up the WM. Patching dwm, st, and dmenu took a while, especially since new versions were recently released and most of the patches listed at suckless.org dont apply cleanly, so I had to tinker with it a little bit. I don’t mind that kind of work, especially since I enjoy C, but I have to admit that it took me a lot of time, and I expect it to take some more of it.
At this point I don’t intend to document what patches I’m applying and in what order and what needs fixing afterwards, but I may upload shell scripts that automate patch application here, and possibly fixed patches that apply cleanly. No promises.

I have to admit that I haven’t daily driven linux on the desktop for years, but always felt most comfortable when I had the opportunity to do it, so switching from windows straight to dwm is a bit of a change of pace, so one of the first things that I did to my dwm was to implement help, which is kind of funny I guess, because it jives with the suckless philosophy to the extent that if you need help - you need to provide it to yourself.
It’s a simple keybinding(F1) that launches xterm with a bunch of switches and executes less pointed at a help file that I’ve written for myself(~/.help). It was an interesting learning exercise that pushed me to test out all of the keybindings and dwm and figure out how to describe what they do.

I definitely want to put more effort into documenting setting up the bar, tray etc…

1 Like

Installing and setting up connman

So far I’ve been connecting to wifi using wpa_supplicant and a shell script, but I wanted something more flexible and easier to use. Networkmanager is the obvious choice, but I wanted to try something else, and more lightweight(if possible). So I’ve decided to go ahead and try connman which is a Networkmanager alternative designed by intel and intended for mobile and embedded solutions. At this point it’s also full-featured enough that it can be used on the desktop.

Installation

doas xbps-install -S connman cmst

I decided to install connman along with a graphical network management utility(cmst), and an ncurses based network configurator, unfortunately connman-ncurses crashes all the time, and even segfaults on some actions.

So I decided to install ncman instead. I’ve found the most up to date fork.

Building and installing ncman

First we make a directory for storing the source:

mkdir -p ~/src/ncman
cd ~/src/ncman

Then pull the latest source:

git clone https://github.com/milisarge/ncman.git build

Now we have to fix the source, since ncman was built with -Wall (all warning stop the build process), and there’s function used that’s been deprecated.
Open ~/src/ncman/build/src/ncurses_utils.c in your favourite editor and change line 46 from:

vwprintw(win_footer, msg, args);

to:

vw_printw(win_footer, msg, args);

Install necessary dependancies:

doas xbps-install -S meson ninja cmake dbus-devel json-c-devel ncurses-devel

Build and install ncman:

meson setup build
ninja
doas ninja install

Configuration

To prevent dns overrides by connmand we create /etc/sv/connmand/conf with the following content:

OPTS="--nodnsproxy"

Next we create /etc/connman/main.conf with the following contents:

[General]
AllowHostnameUpdates=false
PreferredTechnologies=ethernet,wifi
SingleConnectedTechnology=true

These three config options have the following effects:

• By default, ConnMan changes the transient hostname on a per network basis. The first option turns off that behaviour.

• By default ConnMan does not prefer ethernet over wireless, which can lead to it deciding to stick with a slow wireless network even when ethernet is available. The second option fixes that.

• ConnMan allows you to be connected to both ethernet and wireless at the same time. I prefer to have only one active connection at any given time.

Enabling Connman

First we need to disable dhcpcd(Connman has built in dhcp) and wpa_supplicant:

doas rm /var/service/dhcpcd 
doas rm /var/service/wpa_supplicant

Wpa_supplicant service wasn’t even enabled on my system, but I’ve included that for completeness sake.

Next we enable Connman:

doas ln -s /etc/sv/connmand /var/service/

Check if the service is running:

doas sv status /var/service/connmand⏎
run: /var/service/connmand: (pid 6969) 1s

Final steps

Add user to the network group

doas usermod -a -G network chain

Modifying dbus policies according to this post might be necessary, but it worked for me without this step.

After reloging or rebooting connman should be working.

Network connections can now be controlled with connmanctl(lowest level), ncman, or cmst.

connman-ncurses was last updated 7 years ago, and it already crashed on me when the wrong passphrase was provided. I might update this post if I decide to switch to a more up to date fork.

Edit: Yes, turns out I had the update this post to include the steps necessary to build and install ncman manually.

1 Like

I am curious what kind of flexibility you were looking for that you could not do from the terminal. The only time I found myself using NetworkManager was on my Fedora work laptop when I had to change connections from WiFi to Ethernet with DHCP, to Ethernet but with a static IP, to WiFi again, then to WiFi Guest and turning on OpenVPN and so on.

I could have done it from the terminal (and at some point I switched to nmcli after I switched from Plasma to swaywm), but kept using NM because it was there. In all honesty, I wouldn’t go back to it. Well, nowadays I don’t find myself needing to switch connections as often and if I need any changes, I mostly use ip commands (because that’s what the Void docs present - not sure if they actually recommend it, but those were in the examples, of course I could easily add other tools on my system, but I prefer minimalism).

I agree with you on minimalism - in fact that’s why I chose connman, but I think that I was just a bit worried about ending up in a hotel room without access to the internet and having problems making wpa_supplicant work. I wanted to have access to something easier to use just in case I need it. Connman seems like a good compromise.