CERN suspends scientist for using data to show why more women aren't in physics

you betcha i’m serious

Are you insane or just deeply ignorant of neuroscience?

Yet social scientists never fail to jump to conclusions…

How old we talking and how many cases? percentage wise

Reminder!

Let’s not get insulting to one another!!!

4 Likes

???

that link appears to be broken. also your comment on the brain thingy?

As in social scientists make a whole lot of conflicting theories with limited data.

That’s a hot load of horse shit. Same as that “right/left brained people” is also a myth.

But we can be civil here. I’m sure you triggered a bunch of people, so before making bold claims, bring some evidence to the table.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s not always, at least in my experience. I’m lucky that I work in an office now that does value results over anything else. If your idea is good, we implement it. If not, we work through other options. But it’s always about finding the best solution for the problems presented by the client.

However, I’ve had plenty of nasty experiences with other firms where this attitude is far from normal. I have been ignored and talked over in meetings, had my ideas accepted only after they were repeated by a man, and been called “difficult” to work with (or, “a bitch”) when I point out issues with a project’s implementation-- despite being asked to sit in on a meeting specifically to suggest improvements to said project.

Of course, this doesn’t even count the more blatant sexism I’ve encountered from other clients. (“How old are you anyway?”, said while leering down my top. -_-)

You are absolutely right that science (and all fields, really) should be a meritocracy. For women though, it’s often not; leading many women to quit the field or not bother with it in the first place, regardless of their abilities. Which in turn, has lead to a lot of the programs that are targeted toward gaining and retaining women in the workplace.

Whether these programs are really successful is up for debate. Personally, I prefer to be actually listened to and accepted based on my ideas, rather than my gender (or any other metric). That’s all most women working in STEM want-- a chance for their ideas to shine through without all the bs politics.

15 Likes

schieb.pdf.zip (72.9 KB)
Is it working now? Sorry apparently you cannot upload pdf. Strange.

Oh and ya information is really imperfect and there is so much variables you cannot consider them all. Plus ya there is several angles, but not all are automitacally contracditing and more offer different lighting on the same subject which can help conceive a bigger picture.

There is some truth to the argument though I dont know if I can come to the same conclusion as his statement.

5 Likes

Sadly the world of professional road racing is the same. Katherine Legge is a PHENOMENAL driver, seriously… if I had the money to put her in a car with me I’d jump at the opportunity. Other men… not so much, I’ve heard her make remarks about the fact not many men would accept her as the #1. She is finally getting her just due and only has a silver rating but next year she will probably be a gold rated driver so if she stays in Pro/Am sportscar(IMSA uses FIA bronze/silver/gold/platinum ratings) bronzes and silver drivers, virtually all men, will have to accept her as a #1.

What? Here is a Stanford study on that refuting your statement.

I’m just assuming the default position of most people, especially scientists is going to be a 0 for sexism/misogyny, if someone is ignoring the meritocracy tenet of science they should be disciplined removed if it becomes a major issue naturally. This referring to the present day, things were much different before at least the 80s/90s.

Including cultural factors may change things up a bit, but it still makes no sense to suspend/fire a guy just because he violated C̶a̶t̶h̶o̶l̶i̶c̶i̶s̶m̶ Feminism, why not have the debate and destroy his argument if he’s wrong?

2 Likes

[TRIGGER WARNING] — Actual Facts Ahead

Reveal

A couple of quotes from the Stanford Medicine article linked by Adubs:

The neuroscience literature shows that the human brain is a sex-typed organ with distinct anatomical differences in neural structures and accompanying physiological differences in function, says UC-Irvine professor of neurobiology and behavior Larry Cahill, PhD. Cahill edited the 70-article January/February 2017 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience Research — the first-ever issue of any neuroscience journal devoted entirely to the influence of sex differences on nervous-system function.

Many of these cognitive differences appear quite early in life. ‘You see sex differences in spatial-visualization ability in 2- and 3-month-old infants.

So… 2 and 3-month-old infants see the world differently, and start interacting with the world differently, solely because their brains are different because they are of different sexes.

Ergo, male and female brains exist, are different, and translate to different behaviour — well before the human even knows the meaning of the word “gender” or has had a chance to be culturally indoctrinated.

Statements like “There is no suck thing as a men or women brain” are at odds with established scientific fact.

FYI: 56 out of those 70 articles were authored either entirely or partially by women.

[END TRIGGER WARNING] — Safe Space Ahead

Oooh, look — puppies! :dog2::poodle:

6 Likes

This isn’t a woman only thing, and shouldn’t happen either. I’ve had female analysts literally grab me inappropriately during work travel, without any repercussions even after reporting the issue.

I also don’t believe this is a woman only thing. Happens to me all the time, except being called a bitch. That would be a new one. I believe, at least in my experience, this is more an issue with cliques in the work place. In my case, the clique is an older female group that has been there for a long time, and have a history of failing to resolve issues.

I’m widely considered a veteran in my field, with several high profile papers published, and I still get the short end of the stick from cliquey places. It’s unfortunate, but I don’t believe it’s purely a sexism issue. It’s BS politics in general.

3 Likes

jpgthis%20is%20why%20we%20cant%20have%20nice%20things

7 Likes

I closed the thread, for a multitude of reasons.

• thread was getting derailed
  • the thread got too irritatingly political
  • the discussion was going nowhere and like many of threads like these they end up in a shouting match, like it currently did.

Abusing my powers just to highlight this. It’s nice to see this as this is what I hear from my female friends/colleagues in STEM fields as well. They worry some of these gender based programs might have people question their ability when they are highly capable people in the first place.

I agree with everything else you said. It does happen, not sure how often, but obviously there are arrogant, sexist, ‘i’m better than you’ people out there everywhere.

6 Likes

I shall read it, thank you.

1 Like