Ceramic Coatings: What are they? What are they not? How to apply them

Nice right up.

The wife and I had the PMC TLX clear wrapped and then ceramic coated. I did not want to take the chances on such a new car with a superb [expensive] paint option. We wanted to protect it since it is a limited production run.

I may take a stab at coating the 3g TL or one of the CRXes as they are starting to show signs of lifting clear coat.

1 Like

nice thats the way to go. Did they fix the factory orange peel before doing so. Everything ive seen is the clear wrap makes that worse sometimes?

1 Like

@SgtAwesomesauce the water beading is nice. The sheeting is ridiculous. This was post heavy rain storm just nice and its all gone off the roof. Water just doesn’t stay

Like damn

4 Likes

The PMC Paint is so good that there was no need for paint correction. But then again, the Car was like two days old when we took delivery). I have seen some bad jobs before. We bit the bullet and spent the extra money to get the job done down in Bellevue, WA at a site that normally deals with 250K+ cars. Cost us a bit, but it is worth protecting the 50K investment. The car is also garaged (I put all my cars in the Garage) so the coat should last longer. That and my wife and I both work nights, so the cars mostly come out at night as well. I am going to see if I lasts more than 2 years as was warrantied.

2 Likes

It very likely will. So I do suggest that you use a reload spray or something every couple weeks on a nice soft wash. That will keep it healthy.

Alright @SgtAwesomesauce the race is on. My dads 1994 explorer also got corrected and coated

Now our question becomes. Who’s will last longer. Same driving. Same wear. Same miles. Same relative alpine mountainous environment. Different reload sprays. I do have more salt and snow in my area. Moneys on my dad. We will both wash approximate every couple weekends. Apply as directed …

He will be using 303 since its cheaper

I’ll be using a product by the same guys as my coating

Should be interesting/fun

Two older cars. Lots of miles. Okay paint. Not afraid to thrash. This will be a real world test :grin:

3 Likes

Water beads and soap beads first wash about a week and half later (as directed)

FYI I use this wash just for their pressure washer. I use my own soap. Mitt and two bucket method but I spray and fill buckets with their spotless rinse :joy:. Talk about ripping them off a bit. 1 dollar max

Very impressive for first cure

1 Like

Results after dry. Honestly love the glossy slipperly look and feel. Ridiculously slippery. Nothing can sit on the paint. My towels. My phone it all slips off to the ground

I applied it to the mirrors too and man do I love having ZERO water spots

(blemishes on top of glass due to dry lube on all windows and where they go in. Makes for a good seal and they roll down as quick as new)

Love it. Makes my life easier.

Next update in a couple months.

Then 6

Then a year

2 Likes

Nice write-up. i-am really looking forward to the longterm results.
That’s where the money is at in my opinion.

Your car looks really good!

2 Likes

I think it will hold up well. Hopefully. Applying it properly most people report 3 years of easy complete coverage.

It looked horrible before lol. Took lots of effort lol… 400k does a number on the paint. Passenger (passing side) takes the most beating… I put an extra coat on that side… I thought it was a good way to even it out… Im pretty happy the oxidation is gone… the areas where clear coat was fading now has so much ceramic coating after polished… that its butter smooth lol.

SURPRISINGLY… it stops headlights from yellowing… like it has an effect on the UV protection of plastic.

repairing paint is a skill all should learn on. What better than an older car.

1 Like

This works great at cleaning and restoring Roland v-Cymbal rubber too.

3 Likes

The graphene ceramic version?

The more you know lol

1 Like

Oh, no. Just the regular Aircraft cleaner. My bad.

2 Likes

Further update

After 4 washes (this is the 5th), driving through light hail, heavy rain, a dust storm, driving up a dirt mountain road and having fun at the Bonneville salt flats and 2 trips back and forth to Idaho with rock spillage from a truck

This is what the ceramic coat and paint still looks like

Gorgeous

Beads like new
Glossy like new
Simple spray on of hydro 02 since I got a dust storm

1 Like

I wish I had some good pics of my dad’s car before he stopped taking care of it.

It was like 2.5 years with a crappy application and parked outside in San Diego, before we started to see problems.

2 Likes

So what are the problem signs? Just oxidation and lack if beading?

Nope, ceramic coats don’t oxidize. They just fade off and stop beading. Also, dirt starts sticking to the car more.

The good beading stops after about 9 months, but it’s still super easy to wash until about 1.5 years. If it’s parked outside.

1 Like

Got ya okay cool

So no yellowing

No oxidation

Just noticeable lack of gloss and beading. That’s when its time for a clay. Simple polish and new coat

We just ceramic coated my moms vehicle did a bit of removing the orange peel

The whole family fleet is protected. 3 coats each

2 Likes

Hey guys it’s been a long time since I posted on this post and you know what it’s time for an update.

The ceramic coat is going strong I just put a little bit of graphene over the top of it and it was great.

I do the graphene basically once a month and I do the reload every 6 months so I did the reload and the graphene. It might seem overkill but I want to keep this coat in the best condition possible.

It’s looking amazing and in my new apartment garage which I have yet to really organize and make nice it is looking fantastic after a little bit of work

On a side note this type garage does provide me enough room to work on this focus as it is a compact car. The following pictures are of course before I did apply the graphene. Still looking good regardless and I do like 12,000 lumens of light in my garage because you can never have a enough light to fucking work.

Additionally it is fantastic to finally plug the battery into a professional series battery tender and desulfator. That product really does make the difference I know of a few others that do this just happens to be an industrial product a very professional one it’s not a consumer product and man as it amazing. It basically makes my batteries last almost a decade and I really can’t say anything else does that. 2 years of sitting driving and yielded it working pretty freaking hard to get rid of all the sulfation but it did and the battery is in the green status which is really good. Considering how old that battery is now. If you guys want recommendations on these kinds of products just let me know ask me…

Dad’s ceramic coat update is going fantastic In fact it’s going a lot better than mine because he doesn’t drive the Subaru as much as he should That’s largely impart dude to my mom. Their coat is on a new car with a paint correction and basically a perfect application. And he has done the maintenance doses like he should and he’s also done the grapene like I’ve done

His coat is looking amazing on that car it’s mirror finished kind of like mine… And quite frankly probably one of the best products I’ve ever used I cannot say enough good words about this usually I’m extremely skeptical to snake oil and you know what this has no snake oil on it whatsoever it’s absolutely an amazing product and it does exactly what the fuck it says it’s supposed to do and I can’t say that for many car products on the market save maybe some good synthetic oils

He laughs because he still does use soap and water but he finds the need not to. It beats water like nothing else I’ve ever used on car paint It’s ridiculous. And he literally used his lawn blower to make his car look like new because all it had was a little pawn and dust and that came right off nothing sticks to this coating. So both are going well and that’s a sample size of two so it’s not really enough It’s not 30 or greater but hey you know what I’m glad it’s going good and I definitely recommend it to other people because I’ve had good results.

In fact I wish car dealerships and manufacturers would bake on a thicker ceramic coating on top of clear coat That would be fucking amazing They should pretty much do it They should offer the option I would pay for it any day because I would make a harder better coating.

Thanks @SgtAwesomesauce :+1:t4:

2 Likes

You might want to take a look at this video.
I was truly amazed by the turtlewax hybrid solutions.

1 Like