CentOS Becoming Rolling(-ish?) Release

I wonder how this fares for the cPanel project. They were quite upset about the switch to stream. Crossing fingers they will support RHEL going forward.

Oh hell yes

Idk if there are any legal issues with using oracle in an appliance but that still seems to be the best solution for them.

Curious what this means for FreeIPA, oVirt, OpenShift, etc since RHEL already has them in rebranded form. I guess they will just be unstable versions in stream.

Also, why didn’t they announce this at the same time as the CentOS news? Would have saved them a lot of bad press.

2 Likes

Yep, just like RedHat intended CentOS Stream to be. Well, again, I believe “unstable” is a bit of a misnomer, it should be pretty solid, but again, not “Red Hat solid.”

Apparently Mattermost and AWS became Rocky Linux sponsors:

2 Likes

There are so many moving parts in ovirt, openshift and FreeIPA, they really rely on locked package versions or things will break. CentOS stream should be stable as an OS but these big services might not be.

1 Like

Looks like yum-plugin-versionlock is going to start becoming popular again.

2 Likes

Does it work on stream? I read somewhere that you can’t lock packages in stream, but idk if they were referring to that or just the difference between the rolling vs point releases.

free rhel means i might switch over… if pulling updates doesnt become a pain with subscription manager…

4 Likes

I wonder how they’re actually limiting the installations? I guess you’re just violating the TOS if you go make multiple accounts…

3 Likes

my best guess…

once you have the iso… you can do as many as you want…
so what they’ll do is monitor how many systems check in with subscription manager from the same ip(or acct login)…

and if you hit the 16… then someone might be reaching out or sending a letter/invoice…

2 Likes

Dnf versionlock plugin will become popular now. :wink:

Oh…

This is going to be useful in the future.

4 Likes

I’m impressed Red Hat provides support for migration from Oracle Linux.

1 Like

Let the script wars begin

5 Likes

trust me… oracle does the same for rhel…

they contact us in the past to ask us to convert our rhel systems to Oracle linux

2 Likes

not-good-enough

2 Likes

I know Oracle does, just didn’t know Red Hat does the same for OL though

1 Like

Direct link to the announcement:

3 Likes

Time to test drive.

I didn’t realize until reading the above article that they simply expanded the free “developer” license. When I logged in to download the ISO, it was confusing to me that there was no new option.

Sign up here: https://sso.redhat.com/auth/realms/redhat-external/login-actions/registration?client_id=rhd-web&tab_id=TCl6r77jfKQ

Download here: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Download | Red Hat Developer

Check that subscription is here: https://access.redhat.com/management/subscriptions

:+1:

Ok, I’m already annoyed

# dnf install freeipa-server
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:04:40 ago on Mon 01 Feb 2021 03:30:07 PM EST.
All matches were filtered out by modular filtering for argument: freeipa-server
Error: Unable to find a match: freeipa-server

Oh nvm, I forgot it changed from rhel 7…