CentOS Becoming Rolling(-ish?) Release

Golden

Hey your streaming player what software is that… imma load it onto centos 8 myself

couple of docker images with NGINX front end.

We will talk about this elswyr :wink:

there will be no CentOS Linux 9

Maybe I’m wrong and it really will be rolling…

“free rhel” could essentially be what centos currently is depending on what the limitations are. If they do want to keep offering a free no-support tier, it would be less work to maintain than current centos. No separate repos or effort stripping red hat trademarks.

In practice all this is gonna do is break enterprise applications

3 Likes

Perhaps it wont be a real “rolling” distro but just not do point releases anymore? I’ve given CentOS 8 Stream a try before and it just seems to be what the next point release is going to be software version wise.

Maybe they’re sick of playing catch-up with RHEL to try and recreate their point releases after RedHat releases them. CentOS has lagged behind RHEL’s point releases for a while. Doesn’t look good for brand image?

Maybe instead of getting CentOS 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 etc. we just get “CentOS 9” until it’s EOL. RedHat probably doesn’t want them stepping on their toes either, basically releasing RHEL for free.

We could also just be finally getting “Stable Fedora” who knows!

Thats what rhel is for

Is it time for Scientific Linux to make a comeback?

1 Like

What are you talking about, my entire homelab runs Oracle Linux :stuck_out_tongue:

Literally dozens of us! Dozens!

5 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking about giving it a fair shake.

1 Like

Scientific Linux still has a build based on RHEL7, but they decided to use CentOS 8 moving forward, so they don’t have any build based on RHEL 8. But I really wish Fermilabs would make a build based on RHEL 8. Otherwise, Oracle Linux seems like the only way forward (unless we get free developer licenses from RHEL, but I don’t want to deal with them) for testing software releases on the same OS version that our clients are running (but I want to deal with Oracle even less, although Oracle Linux seems fine, we got 2 or 3 VMs running it).

For our internal production servers running CentOS (GitLab, Jira, websites, Samba, DNS etc.), Stream should be technically fine, we don’t mind having more up-to-date software, unless it introduces really bad stability issues (which I doubt).

It sucks for sure.

so I guess ensuring that you do patch testing/validation in tst and uat environments before prd is going to be of utmost importance.

They have been for a while. Red Hat’s been throwing its weight around to get what it wants for a long time, but since the code is still “open source” that always got glossed over. The “community” aspects there used to be is either dead or in intensive care, at least as far as most “major” projects are concerned.

Giving away? CentOS was a community project started to provide a freely available build of RHEL that would track RHEL releases. There was no Red Hat involvement in the creation of CentOS. Red Hat only started sponsoring it after they tried to get rid of it in other ways (mostly by being obnoxious and making it as hard as possible for CentOS to reproduce the packages), and failed. Red Hat eventually took over the reins, as they tend to do, and is now finally getting what it has wanted: shutting down competition in the form of CentOS.

Not sure how this impacts projects based on CentOS, but if they based themselves off of CentOS for stability (otherwise Debian would’ve made a lot more sense) this is going to hurt them. XCP-NG comes to mind here.

3 Likes

Isn’t CentOS literally just re-branded RHEL?
Is RHEL going rolling? If not, what’s to stop someone from just doing what CentOS used to do and make a repackaged RHEL, stable, release?

Where am I being a tard here?

2 Likes

Are you sure? I thought xen was it’s own thing.

Nothing technically. It’s just a lot of work, especially if RHEL isn’t cooperative… and I guess high risk. If you were to do it and overlook even one RHEL trademark in one of the packages, they could pull an Oracle and sue you into oblivion.

Ironically, I think you’re kind of describing Oracle Linux. @Dynamic_Gravity would know how similar they are. I think they follow the same point releases as RHEL?

2 Likes

SuSe is really a viable alternative with live patching and update snapshotting with zypper. Two of the most important tools you will need if you plan on going pseudo rolling release with a server distro.

I also think that people forget that RHEL is going the way of containerization and package pinning. Critical things need to be managed in any environment so pin your critical softwares and don’t blindly pull in updates. Yes it means moving the GNU/Linux world back to the old days of being an actual administrator, but Linux admin was never supposed to be accessible to everyone.

1 Like

IBM finally makes their move.

2 Likes

Yeah, they have this process more or less automated at this point to strip out RedHat stuff so that’s not a concern. But I don’t really know how they do that; I would like to though.

When a patch from them hits the repos oracle pulls it and then runs a test.

Sometimes I’ve seen where they revert what RedHat has done in a patch or change it sightly.

The UEK (unbreakable enterprise kernel) has over 24,000 E2E tests done on it btw and it’s newer than RedHat but also ship a Redhat compatible kernel in addition should you need it.

1 Like

It uses CentOS as a base, apparently still CentOS 7, so they’re fine for a while, at least, which should give them time to figure things out.

Anyway, since having to deal with JBoss’ open source (owned by Red Hat), I’ve tried to avoid depending on them for anything, as they tend to “own” whatever projects they get involved in and will just shut things down on a whim (comparisons to Google would not be entirely inappropriate, but at least it doesn’t usually affect end users)

2 Likes

The market is open now for a spacewalk clone.

A platform agnostic version would be the bees knees