Centos 7 Steam crash

Can’t launch steam, here is the output

steam
Repairing installation, linking /home/user/.steam/steam to /home/user/.local/share/Steam
Running Steam on centos 7 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 713: 7499 Segmentation fault (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER “$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH” “$@”
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 403: no match: ssfn*

any help would be great, thanks.

Before anything, I would seriously advise against using CentOS to attempt to game. I prefer it as a ServerOS, but for gaming, using something with a more up-to-date kernel would be extremely advantageous depending on what hardware you have.

Also please list you hardware as well that way we can find out if you have any hardware issues we should be worried about,

I’d prefer to stick with it, I really enjoy Centos 7 distro and I’ve already tried some other distros. It’s also the distro most supported by Davinci Resolve my main purpose for the machine. I’m mainly interested in playing games in the 2007-2012 era.

I have a ryzen 2700 and a gtx 1060 with nvidia proprietary drivers,

I doubt I missed much on getting the packages needed to run steam, I think the issue must lie in configuration and admin.

People have already had success with running steam on Centos, I simply need to find the solution to my systems problem to get things up and running.

Any help is appreciated.

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhh… I literally haven’t seen anyone actually try to game on centOS since like early days of 6.

On steam in one of the linux user groups I have a thread called “Whats your OS?” and I THINK theres a couple people of the 600 comments that said cent. I remember at least one.

I’d ask one of them.

The main thing is I’m wondering is if anyone knows what this output in the command line means

steam
Repairing installation, linking /home/user/.steam/steam to /home/user/.local/share/Steam
Running Steam on centos 7 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 713: 7499 Segmentation fault (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER “$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH” “$@”
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 403: no match: ssfn*

if anyone knows that would be awesome, if anyone has a solution that would be even more awesome.