(CBC) Teen charged in Nova Scotia government breach says he had 'no malicious intent'

CBC article

I think that this is a mix of the government not wanting to accept that they messed up and poor security with the handling of the distribution of documents. I also think that 15 officers is excessive and that they could of just ordered him to delete it or delete the documents themselves by using a court order or something like that i also think that he is going to get a longer sentence because it seems that the government doesn’t care about intent or how the documents where acquired and due to him downloading 250 documents he wasn’t suppose to have i think it will be like a 7-10 year sentence because the judge probity wont understand how this stuff works or how easily this could happen on accident.

Before I lock this as low effort

do you have anything to say about the topic? Do you want others input?

The article is relevant to the category and recent so this is why I am asking.

1 Like

i don’t have anything to say on the topic. i am fine with others input. But all i have to say is i originally found this on the DataHoarder subreddit posted by HaliFan.

Wow its sad that so much force was used just because someone downloaded a lot of information… I cant wait to see the outcome of this because it seems to have no reasoning around his arrest if its public information.

We usually encourage the OP to add some input because just posting a link and leaving it like this constitutes as a low effort post.

Please put more effort into your threads such as giving us a quick description on the matter or giving us your input on the situation before submitting the thread.

Rather than closing this thread and PMing you, I really believe this thread has potential for discussion so I’d rather drop this here and get it out of the way now.

4 Likes

I heard about this on the radio yesterday. I think that a government agency should have no problem with a public tax paying citizen downloading as much as they want. The other thing I heard is that there was some private info in the data and that is why the gov went to so much trouble finding the “perp”. Charging him was stupid.

I saw Colin Percival of TarSnap volunteering his services at his own cost to be an expert witness to the lack of intent, repeatedly on Twitter.
I think he was trying to reach out to the defence lawyer too