Catsays Random Thread (Thoughts, Interesting things, Random Projects)

Just something from days past.
How low have you ever underclocked a graphics card?
Lowest I got it with 2D clocks still functional was 11Mhz. 3D was toast.

The lowest ever benched on a HD2400 crossfire setup was done at 60Mhz and was stable enough to complete a run of 3dmark 2006. Very very slowly.

3Dmark 2001 SE gave interesting results.
This is an FX5200 (64bit) PCI card. The slowest FX card mankind was ever cursed with. GPU-z optimistically lies to me and says it’s 128bit.

This is a pair of HD2400 Pro cards in Crossfire running at 60Mhz.
Comically they are just a smidge faster than the PCI FX 5200 abomination.

4 Likes

It is impressive how slow your computer can go! :joy:

2 Likes

Today’s latest mainboard acquisition.

Supermicro H8DA3-2

Dual Socket F Opteron in behemoth E-ATX form factor.

It joins my other Dual Socket F board the MSI K9ND Speedster 2 aka (MS-9661).

But unlike the speedster 2 this Supermicro has a far nicer VRM and more PCI-e lanes. Since they used 2x MCP55 (nForce 3600 Pro) chipsets linked to the primary processor HT bus.

VRM on this supermicro is made of a pile of Infineon OptiMOS BSC020N03LS mosfets. 3 per phase to be specific, which is hilarious overkill. It has them on the back and front of the board.

The manual is selling this board a bit short. Realistically you can push close to 200A with some air cooling.

Here’s the Block Diagram

Also the chip-to-chip interface is bi-directional and clocked at 2Ghz with processors I will be using. Two times Opteron 8435. With a total of 32GB of DDR2-800.

Graphics cards I will be using:
Dual Quadro FX5800’s, we don’t mess about here, all or nothing.

These once overclocked at stock voltage basically are 4GB GTX 285’s

Here’s a recent #1 record meme run with the MS-9661 and 2x Opteron 8387 at 3Ghz + a single Quadro FX 5800.

3 Likes

Small question, where did you get the block diagram from? It is public knowledge, like from the manual, or do you have a tool that generates this for you?

2 Likes

Courtesy of Supermicro’s excellent documentation.
They also provide the logic signals and voltages of all connectors and headers.

But I do also have tools to generate this as part of the coreboot project.
I can confirm the block diagram is accurate.

2 Likes

This is a bit different.

ATI internal GPU bandwidths and limits.

More to be added soon for all of GCN + RDNA.

A fully dynamic spreadsheet detailing the internal operating parameters and programming constraints of ATI HD 5000 and HD 6000 GPU’s as of now. These are GPU’s that I am very familiar with.

Features

• ATI HD5000 and HD6000
  • if you change the ram or core clocks or memory bus widths etc it will update to show you all the new internal bandwidths and Global Limits
  • You can clone it to your own drive or download and use it almost as a build a custom Terascale GPU

Cons

• I have not yet put in stuff like the firepro cards or IGP’s
  • Just original ATI (AMD) ASIC definitions
  • There’s a good few ‘magic constants’ involved for the register math and global limits that I don’t reveal.
  • Still missing GCN and RDNA (soon to come)

Notes

A lot of the IGP’s use the HD5450 core model. The math for which can sort of be extracted from the sheet formulas. HD5450 is also special and has lots of shortcuts in the cache and LDS/GDS design.

2 Likes

More oddwares!

It’s SPARCy time!

Here’s a SUN Ultra 10 (Model 375-0009) motherboard equipped with the Sapphire Red 440Mhz 2MB L2 Cache SUN UltraSPARC IIi processor (Model 501-5149).

It’s not actually directly compatible without some extra mods and I’m still waiting for the correct CPU (Model 501-4379) 300Mhz Sabre with 512KB L2 Cache.

https://dogemicrosystems.ca/pub/Sun/System_Handbook/Sun_syshbk_V3.4/Devices/CPU_Module/UltraSPARC_TOC.html

UltraSPARC IIi has a very interesting system architecture. It’s laid out approximately as follows:

CPU

Die

USC

Block Diagram

Performance characteristics of the 300mhz Sabre core

Using standard 72 bit bus 50ns EDO RAM.

The board

The processor

Yes that tiny heatsink + fan is enough to cool it. No it’s not stock.

Processor board and socket

The actual chip up close

No Pin LGA socket

It uses a Flex PCB sheet with what seem like solder bumps. But these aren’t your normal tin solder. It’s something else much harder. The sheet can be removed to show the pads underneath.

The UltraSPARC IIi architecture

http://electro.fisica.unlp.edu.ar/arq/downloads/Papers/Superescalares/IEEE_Micro_1998_-_Sun_UltraSparcII.pdf

sparc-architecture-assembly-language-produced-by-sun-microsystems.ppt (330 KB)

4 Likes

Any suggestions for what I should do with this thing once it’s up and running?

Probably gonna be running Solaris 8 in the as shipped configuration first.

There will definitely be some micro benchmarking and linux kernel hacking done. But also I have plans to game a bit on this box. See what I can cross port to this architecture since it has a dang powerful FPU/Integer pipeline.

Think like Pentium 3 1Ghz, but we’re trucking at 400Mhz.
For example on x86 Pentium 3 a FDIV takes 39 cycles and does not pair well with Integer operations.

Reference:
https://www.cse.chalmers.se/~abela/lehre/WS07-08/Compiler/Lec10/Pentium_optimise.html

The FPU tho doesn’t mess around, almost all operations are fully pipelined and occur at 1 per cycle. Even 64bit, (this is a 64bit processor)
Divide and Square root are not pipelined, and take 12 cycles single precision or 22 cycles double precision. But interestingly also do not stall the processor. Follow up instructions can be issued immediately. Integer and FPU pipes are synchronized. Performance magic that the pentiums could only dream of because any other instructions, following the divide/square root can be issued, executed, and retired to the register file before the divide/square root finishes.

On the other hand Pentium Pro and Pentium 1,2,3 can’t do what the SPARC does and have horrible constraints on how you can sequence and pair Floating point and Integer instructions.

And all that with just 5.4 Million transistors vs the 9.5 million of a 500Mhz Katmai core. L2 cache transistor count for both is not included.

Also fun fact:
The 64-bit SPARC V9 architecture uses big-endian instructions, but can access data in either big-endian or little-endian byte order, chosen either at the application instruction level or at the memory page level (via an MMU setting)

3 Likes

I’m personally always interested to see some benchmarks comparing different CPU architectures, even tough it’s always apples to oranges comparison. And it’s also fun to see someone play games on hardware that wasn’t built for that purpose. :smile:

1 Like

Hey it’s my amd buddy! Where have you been?

1 Like

Oh hi there.
Things have just been busier in the past year or so plus.
Changed line of work, took on new senior roles.
Spent some time away as well, all those interesting things in life. :slight_smile:

How are you doing?

2 Likes

Keeping my mind sound. Also safe.

1 Like

So I recently bought a pile of processors from a recycler for $1.
Going through the stacks and… oh gawd.

2 Likes

Wtf is that thermal compound?

Finally go the SUN Ultra 10 board up and running with a Sabre 300 CPU.
This is board 375-0009 and while the 440Mhz Sapphire Red CPU works on it, I need to update the boot rom first and fix some things on the processor card to run stable.

This is just a bit of a bumbling video of me talking about the board and what was wrong with it.

1 Like

I created my username from valid unicode blocks.
I like this very much :slight_smile:

❰ ▞▚ ▜▛ ▟▛ ▞▚ ▚▘

1 Like

Also here is a new video.

I’ll try to post more serious (and structured) content soon on a new channel.

Shuttle AB61 CMOS battery design fail

And last but not least I’m bridging in a thread of mine from Vogons where I rebuild a slightly crazy broken Dual Socket 5 Pentium 1 board.

Recently successfully completed. With testing to come soon.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=82827

I have contributed this board as the first such known example to the retroweb collection

Note: this PIC is pre-repair and doesn’t quite reflect the current status

2 Likes

It took me a second of wondering how to mount the cooler without mounting holes. Then I remembered. Oh, I remembered. On an unrelated note I find it tempting to try to test of how far back in time I can go hardware wise and still let the newest Linux kernel run on this old piece of tech. But I do not have the space to store ancient pieces of hardware like the ones you posted for a project like this. Every new thing I get these days bothers me, because I want to have a small footprint.

Many moons later…

Note:
No L2 cache is enabled here…

This leads to some really amazing memory latency results :rofl: