Cat 6 outlet incompatible with Cat 5e cables?

Hi all network gurus, I am need of dire help! I recently did some renovations at home and had an electrician run some network cables and outlets around the house. The idea was that I would connect my Incoming Fiber in the basement to an outlet that then routes it upstairs to my router. Now he used Cat 6 cables and outlets everywhere to prepare for the future. I still haven’t bought any new network gear though as I an happy with gigabit speeds. So this is how I wired it:

Fiber box->cat5e->cat6 outlet->cat6 outlet->cat5e-router

However, this does not seem to work. I have previously done my own networking cables and I have always followed the EIA/TIA 568B standard which is common in Sweden. I have now opened the basement and upper floor outlets and this does not look like the same wiring schema. Also, are the blue and orange leads reversed? Could this be the issue? Or do I just have to buy a couple of cat 6 cables and use instead? Would my old Netgear R7000 even work with this? Could you please help me figuring this out?

Images

It should work, … how well would R7000 (and presumably its wifi) cope with whatever amount of crazy bandwidth you end up getting over fiber, is another story.

yellow cable definitely looks like a 568B (hard to tell with the lighter /striped colors

do you have a cable tester or a tone tracker by any chance?

That pinout is crazy, just match the colors on both sides, not sure what the 2nd picture is doing but that doesnt even match A or B standard

To my eyes it looks like orange, orange/white has changed places with blue and blue/white?

I do have a splicer tool but dunno, maybe I should just call him and let him fix it.

So if you are making a cross over cable yes you would do that A one one side B on the other but you should really do that on the cable if needed not on the jack

I have used 500/500 couple of years, works fine. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a tester sadly.

Its not something we have discussed, I just want it as standard as possible so it can work with anything.

Most devices can auto change if needed (plug two modern computers together with straight through cable and 9/10 times they will get a link)

The only two ways to punch this down is

A: White/Blue, Blue, White/Green,Green,white/orange, orange, white/brown, brown
B: White/Blue, Blue, white/orange, orange,White/Green,Green white/brown, brown

Top one is B standard tho

At least we found the problem. :wink:

But yeah, I think he intended to do B but reversed the orange and blue. Weird that he didn’t have a tester…

Yep just make it look like this

Yeah when i run cables personal or business always use at least a basic cable checker. If it is professionally run no good reason it should not be tested with a cable tester that will actually send data to make sure it will at least run gigabit speeds.