Case Aesthetics: What is better in a gaming PC?

When you think of a gaming rig, what is the first thing you think about. The first gut instinct to cross your mind when you think of someone's gaming rig?

To me it's the aesthetics.

Does it look clean? Does it look tidy? Does it look like someone took the time and the effort to put their soul into the project, and make it their work of art? Did they take the time to make every cable, every connection different from other builds across the world?

To alot of newbies that work is hard, tedious and frightening. I remember when I started building computers I would see all these cool machines at conventions, and other such places and I wondered how these people were able to dedicate that much time and effort into making their rig look sooo cool! How did they know what to do and where to start?

Well this will be a guide to show you how aesthetics to PC Gaming rigs can be fun, and yet very very functional.

Let's start with the basics.

Pick your case:

The one thing you need to think about when you're building your rig - Will it look good? Of course, to you what might look good might not look good to others. And unfortunately, you cannot please everyone. So don't worry about that. What you buy, and why should be because of what you want your machine to look like, and what you think would be a good buy.

But let me make a few suggestions: Look at price, look at where fans and such go, and look at what you can do to modify it.

Modifying a case can actually be fun and yet intimidating. But trust me, if you buy a case that has modifying potential along with some of the aspects you're looking for you'll start brimming with ideas as to how you could make it better.

In my opinion the Antec 300 (Illusion or 302) is a good start. But that is just my opinion.

Pick EVERYTHING according to YOUR taste:

While reviews can be great, and can inspire mods for what you want to do, do not rely on them. Never pick a case, or components because of what someone tells you to. Reviews can help you make a decision, but never base your purchase of a case or component based solely on them. What works for others may not work for you.

Keep in mind what you are putting into it:

Remember, not all hardware will work with one case as it will with another. Some hardware will absolutely refuse to work in one case, while it will fit \  work with another. A great example is Motherboards and Power Supplies.

Alot of cases will make severe compromises to motherboard compatibility and power supply compatibility to bring in technologies like tool-less design or ease of use to their consumers. They are trying to keep up with competition and alot of times, compatibility with motherboards and powersupplies will be thrown to the wayside.

Keep airflow in mind:

When you do pick the case, and your parts, make sure that you get adequate airflow to your hardware. Without airflow, your machine will roast, and then die. That's pretty useless for a machine that's supposed to be cool to look at and be functional. Also, look for ways you could improve the airflow by modification. Sometimes, you can get lucky enough to place another fan somewhere to improve it.

Mod to your own strengths:

Alot of times, such inadequacies with compatibility will inspire modifications. Sometimes you can make such things work with a slight mod here and there. And don't always go for the big mods either. Often times the more popular modifications are too big a job, and can really ruin a potentially good project.

Keep it simple:

This can flow in with the previous few topics, but I figured it would benefit from its own topic. Keep your mods, and your build time within your reach, and keep most of your mods simple. Not always the elaborate mods will turn out to be what you intended for the project. They can even ruin the effect you were going for. Sometimes subtlety is better than in your face.

Use your own intuition, trust your instincts:

Sometimes, people will stop a mod, or not do it because they think they cannot do it. In some cases that is sound advice. You may mess something else up in the process. But if you get a gut feeling that this mod, or this light, or this hard drive would look better here, or this cable out of the way would help cooling - follow that instinct.

More often than not your instincts will server you better, and make something you'll be alot more proud of and will want to show off to others.

Don't build to impress others, build to impress yourself:

Your mod won't always impress others. And that is unfortunate. But what others think doesn't matter nearly as much as what you think is good. The more you grow comfortable with modding or building the more it will show in your work. And usually, the more others will llke it too.

Don't be affraid to show it off:

If you're proud of your rig, and your work on it - go for it! Show everyone what a great job you did, and be proud of it! Just because a few people on the internet, or a cafe, or a pc shop don't like it will not mean everyone will not like it.

Besides, this way, you can learn what IS appealing to others, and what isn't. And then maybe you can work up to making public builds to show off and get feed back on. I know quite a few people that do that so they can get feedback and then apply what they learned to their own stuff.

Conclusion:

All of this is sound advice. And I tried to make is so that my opinion wasn't being shoved into the subject matter. But this is something to consider the next time you build a PC, or if you decide your setup is just too boring.

Have fun with your build, and remember that nobodies opinion matters more than your own.