Return to Level1Techs.com

Career Change, Looking for a place to start?

comptia-network-

Hello all!

It has been a while since I have posted as I have been busy with IRL.

I was wondering if you enigmatic people would be able to help me with something.

So long story short. I currently work in the field of healthcare. I have been doing it for 4 years post military. I have come to realise that this is not the career for me.

Now I have always been interested in security / pen-testing (Physical/software/infrastructure). However I have no formal education in this and I would probably be the first to admit that I have got lucky and brute forced a few old routers for the wifi password all my own hardware but still.

I have been told that a good place to start is obtaining CompTia Securty+ certification. I would like to slowly migrate to security consultancy however I am bare bones no clue where to start.

Do you guys think you could point me in the right direction?

Also I have noticed for many IT jobs you need to have experience to start. How do people obtain the first 3-5 years experience?

Regards,

Ultirian. :slight_smile:

1st thing you need is computer repair and networking
while you dont have to be world class it you do need familiarity of them.
second you need to choose good quality forensic distros, and get a collection of rescue, partitioning, and wiping software.

caine, parrot, Kali, Cyborg hawk,
these are 4 very powerful forensic distros (but there are quite a few more).
Viking Iso, rescatux, hirens boot cd, are good rescue and recovery (but there are a lot more also).
Parted magic, partition wizard, Gparted are 3 very good partitioning software (and are often included in a lot of distros).

D-ban (Dariks boot and nuke) (wipes a drive 37 times, far beyond DoD requirements) I use this to forensically sterilize drives.
but drive wiping apps are included in many distros or can be downloaded from their repositories

these ones are linux and Free,
Im sure you can find windows based or mac based apps as well but your going to pay hefty costs for them

@Gnuuser Thanks for the heads up, I will look into these things,

Do you know of any courses that can help me get my foot in the door or?

there are numerous places you can start
Cie Bookstore, Kahns acadamy, Mit open courses, Ics, to name a few
but there are also a lot of professional online courses you can take as well that can provide you with degrees in IT. and computer sciences.
Kahns acadamy and MIt open courses are free, but cie bookstore and ICS does cost a bit (But not a large amount by any means)

but Ics may be a bit outdated as far as their materials are concerned

Thanks for the heads up @Gnuuser much appreciated. :slight_smile:

i highly doubt that.

i switched careers in 2017 and even tho i know how to fix PCs that did a) not qualify me for any job (expect the kind of low paying soulless jobs you dont want to have) and b) it is not a requirement for most IT jobs.

If you want to go into Sec/Net, get familiar with how and why you are doing what you are doing AND you need something to show a potential employer to proof that you actually have the knowledge.

I would suggest you get yourself some certificates.

BUT

there are certificates that are truly beneficial (LPIC-1/-2) Linux Certs and some that are bullshit and will not get you far (Comptia Linux+).

You will need at least LPIC-2 (or similar) to enter a sec position and something regarding networking, but im not sure what kind of Cert is valuable in that regard.

At least thats my suggestion since thats how I did it.

Good luck buddy!

Ok you said you are ex-military but not interested in health care but something more easy to qualify for and probably pays good are you also looking at working for security companies both small and large and even working overseas?

Thanks for the info. As I am starting from scratch I do not really want to be wasting money on pointless certs really. :slight_smile: Many thanks.

@CPUBG Yeah do not mind where I work in the world. I dont really mind if its tricky to get the qualification I can work towards it. I was more looking for a starting point to start from as I am a bit lost. When you google stuff you get hammered hard with a bunch of certs. Many look pointless etc.

computer repair may not be necessary but does not hurt a bit to have that knowledge.
while working IT there is times that skill will come in handy.