Car Audio

Who here has a nice setup for their car? I've got a full JL Audio system for my jeep. 3" coax speakers up front, 5.25" coax speakers in the sound bar and a w3v3 10" subwoofer in the back. My headunit powers the front speakers while my XD 500 3 channel amp powers the 5.25" speakers at 75 watts and the subwoofer at 300 watts.

1 Like

I used to, but sold up when wife/mortgage etc

Now the A/B class amp I had purchased for my front speakers, powers the subwoofer in my wife's BMW :( and we had to turn the gain on it down :(

My favorite bits from back then were:

Pioneer P80-RS
RE SX12 subwoofer (on an Orion amp that was capable of ~1kW RMS if I remember correctly?)
DLS Ultimate 6.2 components (although I really wanted the 8" 3 way set).
Lots of dynamat, and designing custom enclosures was all part of the deal too.

1 Like

I currently have a Obsidian Audio 18" D2 in my truck with a Hifonics 1116.1D. Soon to be upgrading to a Soundqubed HDC3.118!

Here's the current sub right after building the box (don't mind the wires they aren't in the port)

This is how it sits in my truck:

Some other stuff I don't have pics of is I have my front stage setup with two infinity kappa 4x6 (stock in my truck, it's a 4" and a tweeter per speaker), 2 Qpower tweeters, and two random 6.5" in a console box all amped up with a memphis 400w, also a Kenwood HD262u headunit.
The box 5.5cuft@35hz.

JL Audio FTW!
I am poor and my Standard Operating Procedure is to go to a store, get a price, and scream "That's Insane! I will do it myself."
I took my whole interior apart and it took 3 days to build but it was worth it.

Subaru head unit (to trick thieves).
Subie door tweeters.
JL Audio C2-650x 6.5" front and C2-600x 6" rear.
Dynamat, Foam speaker cups and Fiberglass insulation in the doors.
Sony Xplode 4x75W amp (bought it at Walmart, then read decent reviews at home).
Sony Xplode 10" sub w/ insane home built mount.
Shitty little $50 sub-amp.
HTC One M8 - Harmon/Kardon edition (Better sound than my iPod!)

They make rear strut tower braces for the WRX. I made my own and screwed the sub to it.

1 Like

The stock WRX headunit is actually surprisingly decent. I switched my stock headunit out of my OBS for a WRX one and things sound quite a lot better for whatever reason.
The stock speakers on the other hand are a completely different story.

It looks like you are running an infinity baffle/free air setup, was this on purpose? IB are particularly nice for sq (on speakers that officially support it and some that don't)

Have an older Sony head unit with an AUX jack, does the job up front for me with a bluetooth adapter.

Front speakers are some Kicker 5.25"s. Rear are Kicker 6x9's. Sub is a 12 inch, 500 Watt Alpine powered by a 500 Watt Kicker amp, sealed in a custom 3/4" MDF box I made.

Still need to add an amp for the 6x9's, mostly for the low-pass filter. It'll help clean up the audio back there and let me get a better sounding, more powerful back massage.

Yes, infinity baffle, sort of.
I sealed the trunk as best I could and drilled a grid of holes in the seat foam.
Inside the back seat I cut slits in the leather to let the sounds out.
It sounds pretty good for being a home-made jury rig with a puny amp.

• Headunit: Pioneer AVH P5000 DVD
  • Front and Rear speakers JBL GTO series
  • Sub 12 inch JBL GTO series
  • AMP for sub also JBL

Dont know the exact models of the speakers, need to look that up.
Its sounds nicely.

The front and rear speakers are a tempory and will probably be replaced with decent composets.
The previous owner of the car (a family member) had issues with the original factory headunit and speakers.
And it was realy expensive to get a new headunit in there via dealership.
So what he basicly did, is went to a junkyard and boaght a mid console from the same car, but then pre 2000, so he could simply replace the headunit with a normal single din radio, and put some decent speakers in the doors.
But my dad doesnt realy like the looks of that console with single din radio, since its not original to the car.
I saw a couple of console conversion kits for the facelift >2000, in which he can install any double din headunit.
So the plan is to put a double din radio in there with original kinda looking console again.

1 Like

it's been about 10 years but i use to compete in DBdrag ,the last year i had a RE MT 18 and two modded MTX 1501d putting out some insane power , too bad classes in DB drag were kinda joke back then and every other car was a CRX .after that i had some audioque 8's in my rear deck and a zapco amp . i had tons and tons of gear get stolen out of a storage room , lot's of big motors , recones,termpro mic , i still get sick thinking about all that stuff gone ..

I have got my speakers and amp this week and will be sharing my status once I configured everything.

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or another moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.