Capturing live stream, converting to h264 and redistribute over rtp

Looking for suggestions and to pick the collective brain so to speak.

I’m attempting a stable platform for capturing municipal live-streams primarely from youtube and sending it out on our local cable-TV network.

Current solution

The solution so far is using OBS and vlc via url to the livestream as a source. OBS/vlc converts the stream and I send it as a rtp multicast to the equippment for DVB-C broadcasting.
This is working great so far. But it’s not very user friendly for our public relations and media staff. And I’m wondering if any of you have similar experiences with software or solutions for this?

Youtube stream -> (vlc) OBS -> h264 in rtp-mpeg container -> Broadcast

Possibility

The dream solution would be a software solution I can setup with a web frontend where staff upload and playlist/schedule the regular rolling content. And when there’s going to be a local event streamed we schedule that in.

Easy semi low tech solution is to make a shareable drive where staff upload their material and I update obs manually. At times where streaming events go Live I manually oversee the layover.

Cons being primarely that they’d have to rely on me being available for every event and when scheduled content needs an update.

I would love any and all feedback and suggestions. When searching solutions it seems this may be a bit of an edge case. Most people just want to become a livestreamer :slight_smile:

If there’s interest I will make a detailed post/guide on how to implement what I’ve done so far. It’s really quite basic, and I belive it can be done a lot better.

I am not aware of any such “web-based low-tech” solution, my only suggestion is to use ffmpeg directly and I also think that is your only option sadly. You could of course write a web app yourself (flask, rocket, actix, whatever), but that would be neither easy or quick.

CasparCG is the closest you can get to this solution if you can receive the RTMP stream directly via a server that’s serving it to both YouTube and to CasparCG as a RTMP stream. CasparCG can queue playlists and has remote management.

Try to see if you can get a solution working with CasparCG.