Can't get windows to appear in grub

So I set up a new VM. Using a raw SATA disk. I also want to be able to run it bare metal, so I’m looking to add it to grub. Just running update-grub doesn’t find it. I try to mount the disk and I get the error NTFS signature is missing. I open gparted and the file system is reported as unknown.

Meanwhile in the VM Disk Management is reporting everything as healthy. chkdisk did find some errors (which is kinda weird immediately after a install) and fixed them, but this didn’t change anything. I was able to fill up about 70GB of the drive already with no issues.

fdisk:

Disk /dev/sdb: 223,58 GiB, 240057409536 bytes, 468862128 sectors
Disk model: KINGSTON SUV400S
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 7872B507-6939-419B-A667-860621D9CF1F

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sdb1 2048 468860927 468858880 223,6G Microsoft basic data

I’ve done the whole thing before and I didn’t expect to run into any issues. Am I missing something obvious here? Any suggestions?

I’ll put my VM config file here just in case but in this case that shouldn’t have any impact.

Thanks

Do you have the ntfs-3g package installed?

Yep.

I have this exact setup working with another Windows VM on another SSD. Bizarre. Maybe it’s an actual filesystem corruption? But again, no sign of anything like that on the Windows side of things.

If you can boot into the windows do a chkdsk or sfc just to be safe.

sfc:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

chkdsk:
Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

I don’t think this has anything to do with linux anymore. I mean I can’t even see the disk or the windows boot manager in bios.

Edit: Reinstalled, the partitions were created correctly this time and grub immediately detected the install. Welp