Can't boot with hybrid graphics, Intel works fine

Hey guys, so recently when trying to do a Manjaro 17.0.5 install, I’ve run into a bit of a problem with hybrid graphics that I’ve never actually had before.

I’m using an MSI GL72 Q6D, for those of you unfamiliar it features an i5 Skylake and a GTX 950m. When booting up, I just get tossed at a black screen with no information whatsoever on what could be the problem. After going into the live install media and chrooting into my install, I used mhwd (manjaro’s hardware config tool) to remove the default hybrid video configuration and install video-intel, which works flawlessly.
When I’m using video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee. The machine boots, gets into the DE just fine, but when using primusrun/optirun, the system just kicks me back to GDM, and I can no longer login until I’ve rebooted the machine.
When I’m using video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee, the machine just doesn’t boot at all.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
And for the reference, I have asked on the Manjaro forums too, but I figured I’d ask here too to see if any of you have had similar problems and have advice to give for the situation.

My only thought at this point would be to try resetting the BIOS, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Oh, and just for reference, I have disabled wayland in GDM for testing and exclusively using Xorg.

bumblebee is old and outdated, i would not use it

manjaro documentation is also terrible. stick with arch wiki for documentation. this is one of my biggest gripes with manjaro.

I have a guide for arch+nvidia prime:
https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/arch-linux-nvidia-prime-laptop-guide-using-nvidia-package-with-fairly-new-laptops/

relevant arch references:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

currently working on my laptop with intel + nvidia 960m

in a nutshell you have to enable modesetting and have the nvidia card display through the intel card via modeset. there is no toggle for switching between the two, but it works and is not a hassle.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on that.
In Manjaro, every major kernel upgrade the system goes through would have to have the mkinitcpio config updated manually for that every single time, and ideally I’d like to avoid that. I know it’s not a huge issue, but it’s still an issue in my book if I want something that “just works”.
It’s a relatively fresh Manjaro install so I’m not particularly attached to the distro yet.

I was debating on switching to Antergos, but they use lightdm by default which doesn’t integrate into gnome and can’t start wayland at all yet.

Thought about Chakra, but that’s exclusively KDE, and I’m quite liking Gnome instead of KDE so far.

Ideally, I’d like something that’s easy to install and just works, but I’d heavily prefer it be Arch based.

Yes, I do know it’s utterly stupid to want to switch distros over something so trivial like that, but as you also said, the manjaro docs are kinda eh and having an outdated configuration being the only supported option just isn’t something I’d like.

you dont have to do it manually. add a hook as the arch wiki says and it gets automagically done.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Pacman_hook

i swap kernels all the time with no problem using this

Just realized the mistake in my first reasoning in that you only need to update /etc/mkinitcpio.conf once, but I stand by the other one in saying that it’s stupid how it isn’t a default configuration (might have to poke them about it somewhere).

May just stick with Manjaro for the time being and run through that tutorial. I’ll get back to you on how it goes.

its default for fedora ;p, thats where the arch wiki got it from. I literally have no idea why manjaro uses bumblebee. that tutorial should work with manjaro perfectly fine

Please note that there is a small linux problems thread. Please post something like this on that thread in the future. Thanks.

Ah, sorry about that. I’ll keep that in mind, thanks.

1 Like