Cannot use my Techin smart products with DDWRT Guest network acting as AP

Make sure you are using python3 and you can do a quick python3 -m pip install esptool.py. That should pull in all dependencies. If you do no have pip installed, then something like apt install python3-pip should work. I use Debian but I believe Canonical lifts those packages from Debian Unstable.

Ok yeah so I got it running now on the RP2. After pressing enter in the script it will keep trying to send SmartConfig Packets. So the issue I am having now is that it cannot seem to find my socket. I’ve done a couple of power cycles but no luck. Maybe it is Realtek in them or the firmware has been patched already?

If you connected them to the App, then yeah, probably updated firmware. but yeah, that is a sign the OTA will not work.

If you are brave enough to open it up, you can flash it with the Pi using GPIO.

Yeah, Afraid I will just break it.

Hmm, I just checked the logs:

payload D5A9148FC11FAA1DECA32BB8AD9E8869
WARNING: it appears this device does not use an ESP82xx and therefore cannot install ESP based firmware
Answer tuya.device.dynamic.config.get
reply {"result":"fn8oBaEAaJe3I+enO7OkYdd0LkD9WHnY6k8vmvctrJZQI1uGsm0BG533WWfHvEUv9F2VBmqNqTqJcWuiX4YubLrU5zO3EdxwXVfgw756Iyq7mevrGF2WUpAllBDW/Q5l","t":1595318605,"sign":"6d173a5bc13dc07a"}
^[[32m[I 200721 09:03:25 web:2250]^[[m^O 200 POST /d.json?a=tuya.device.config.get&et=1&other={"token":"00000000","region":"US"}&t=22&uuid=466a1688793d24d2&v=4.1&sign=47ed589aee55f46e86648$

POST /d.json?a=tuya.device.config.get&et=1&other={"token":"00000000","region":"US"}&t=24&uuid=466a1688793d24d2&v=4.1&sign=5a5c1627c59aad51d2a23a81a8bf0597

So it won’t work then, darn it. :frowning:

Yep. It is probably using the new RTL chip that a lot of the manufactures are moving to since us non-cloud people keep flashing their cheap hardware. The can subsidize the cheap chips with ad and user revenue.

Yeah it makes sense.

I’ll see what I will do. Would really prefer to only use Open Source and local stuff whenever possible.
At the moment though I’m using a “Throw away” account with the smartlife app and fake location. Also they are on their own WIFI that is routed through a VPN elsewhere.

So I don’t beleive there is much to gather there. But sure, there is still a Botnet/Hacking vulnernability I guess.

1 Like

Hey, you are more than halfway there then. I was gonna say setup a VLAN for those plugs. But you have a VPN going for them too.

I have all of my stuff on it’s own network and on my router, it has it’s own VLAN that allows only our two phones to connect to to control through the Home Assistant App. When we need more screen realestate, we connect one of the laptops to that wireless network and do major maintenance from there. Can never be too paranoid.

1 Like

You can find information about various devices (incl. pictures) here: https://templates.blakadder.com/

I used that site to figure out which pin/gpio does what on some smart sockets - and then configuring ESPHome based on that info. (after flashing with tuya convert).

1 Like