Cannot boot Storage Controller from GRUB 0.97

We have a Tegile HA2100 controller that’s giving us issues. We use it as a work lab so not a huge priority, but I’ve been working on this for several weeks now and run out of options. Hoping someone has seen this before.

When booted up, the unit goes directly to a grub (0.97) prompt. The BIOS is locked so that only HDD and CDROM are recognized and the only boot device seen (or even selectable) in BIOS is a SATADOM. The array runs ZFS.

I’ve done several cold boots after unplugging for extended periods. Reseated RAM and any cables / components I can get too, but still get the same result.

I set up a Linux distro on a USB NVMe HDD hoping to use that to repair the issues, but have not been able to get that recognized by the system so far.

I have access to the help files and that’s about it.

These are the commands supported:

When I try to use root and kernel commands, I get the following Checksum 11 errors:

Suspecting a corrupt /boot partition or a SATADOM issue, but I leave it to the experts to guide me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi,

you might find a few helpful things at s1 DOT tegile DOT com SLASH ps
you can try to flush out the original bios, but you’d need to first back it up; i’ve ordered a “SOIC8” thing to do that before finding the download site.
what you must likely need is the ISO files, that should allow you to reinstall a controller node. I’ve plugged a usb key into mine and booted off it (a newer model). I suspect there’s other ways to do that. They also used to have some Sata Dom firmwares online (s1 DOT tegile DOT .com … ps/fw/other/SATADOM/) but that url is no longer valid.

So, finally, the system runs solaris, so the best thing would be to try a recent solaris/opensolaris iso. fixing solaris from linux has a low chance of success.
maybe even in a different supermicro box (needs a satadom compatible sata port, they usually have a different colour)

as for the issue, you’ll need a new satadom most likely.
from what i understood they have always had issues with the satadoms wearing out (you remember all those stores how ssds don’t last long? there you go!), the key issue seems that the older sata doms didnt have TRIM support and likely crappy firmware.

(Old solaris might also not have triggered TRIM anyway)
But there’s a shop named wiredzone that has the most recent models that are faster and TRIM-happy.

innodisk-dessl-64gdk1ec1sfa-b051-satadom-64gb-sl-3te7-

finally, should you fix it and upgrade: I’ve made the mistake to believe that i could go from 3.9 to 3.11 in one jump as it was listed as supported. it wasn’t fun, i would recommend smaller jumps.

fetch the support tool bundle from the website, that should also help you learn. I hope it’s clear to you that debugging and fixing an embedded, clustered storage system with a custom solaris distro isn’t an easy challenge.

systems integration is nice work though so if you can, keep kicking it till it runs!