Can you play a game and browse on another monitor at the same time?

My girlfriend broke her TV, so she is playing Cyberpunk on my PC. She is playing on the TV, and I have another 2 monitors connected to the videocard. Is it possible for me to browse the internet and use things like Youtube or my music app on my monitor without my keyboard and mouse input messing up her game on the tv?

1 Like

Simple answer is: NO. There are ways like virtualization to be able to do stuff like that, but on a regular system with Windows without serious preparation the answer stays: no.

3 Likes

not without essentially turning the system into 2 using VMware or the like… in short, not at all worth the effort for your usecase.

1 Like

You’d probably be better off connecting a second computer for browsing. Perhaps a raspberry pi (if you just need basic computing) or maybe a chromecast (if you just use it for media consumption)
Raspberry pi coverage

Alternatively if you want to be experimental, you can dip your toes into virtualization. LTT has some videos that can solve your use case
Recent coverage

Older coverage
1 Like

If you’re on linux - of course you can. X server supports having different desktop sessions on different screens and you can passthrough different input devices to each X desktop session, meaning multi user use of the same machine. Not sure how well this works when splitting GPU resources, but it should work.

1 Like

Like @Tom_Lee said, X Server on Linux can do that.

Multiseat software on windows is a bit…
Aster can do that. “Crazy Russians make work”
There is another russian developed Multi-Seat tool. Can’t remember what the name was (“TwinSeat” or so?)

I will check that out. Thank you all for your suggestions. Happy Holidays!

I know this is an old thread, but if you can run a game in either windowed/borderless windowed with a controller on another screen. She would be able to browse just fine. While your game goes uninterrupted. However, I would suggest changing the priority on the browser to below-normal to reduce performance related issues with a game.

And hopefully you would have more than one sound device to use, as that would get distracting for both of you. And you can usually specify on most multimedia programs which devices it’s supposed to output to.

Good luck,
-JB