Can someone with a 1070, 1700 and a power meter measure full tilt power consumption?

see title.

I'd be very interested in some worst case whole system power draw measurements
since I can't really find any. For example measuring power at the wall while running furmark and aida64 or something similar. Those kinds of measurements would imo be very useful for picking the right psu for a build.

Being a little generous: 150W for the R7 1700, and 180W for the GTX 1070.

Note: Running certain loads in Prime 95 will cause more than 150W to be drawn by the CPU (4.0GHz). I have seen over 225W being used by a 1700 @ 4.05GHz in Prime 95.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/03/08/amd-ryzen-7-1700-review/6

A good 550W PSU is enough. Grab a good 600W-650W PSU and call it a day.

This is a fully modular unit made by Superflower, $70:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hwbkcf/evga-b3-650w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-b3-0650-v1

with an MSI GTX1070 Gaming X8G, my PC is drawing 76-78W on idle and 191-194W under full load (currently mining with the power meter attached and the GPU is working so hard that my screen is all laggy to the point where the PC is barely usable for browsing).

That's with an MSI X99A Gaming 7 board, an i7-5930K @ 4.4GHz, 4 sticks of Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4-2666, 8 case fans, 2 CPU fans and a 950PRO ssd.

EDIT : seeing as you mentioned worst-case, I launched Cinebench while mining and the system topped out at exactly 350W.
While I don't have a 1700, I don't think it'll use more power than my much older Has-E CPU. So don't overthink it. Get something in the 500-650W range and you're all set.

1 Like

Thank you alot for the measurement.

I'm just thinking that a 400W PSU should be fine if the absoulte max. load (which probably won't occur in real world situations) is 350W. I'm assuming a real load is 200W - 300W, which should be somewhere around peak efficency.

I'm considering a 400W BeQuiet Pure Power 10 for my build. These are measurements of the 500W version:

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2017/01/31/be-quiet-pure-power-10-cm-500w-review/3

These seeem to indicate that the efficencey is fine anywhere from 40% to 80% or even max Load.

I have no experience with the Pure Power PSUs, but my Straight Power and both of my Dark Power Pro PSUs are doing just fine. I (accidentally) was drawing close to 700W from the 650W DPP (I used to have 770s in SLI before the 1070) for half a minute and it held up fine.

That being said, I bought 4 BeQuiet PSUs over the years and 2 of them had issues.
My 650W Dark Power Pro P7 lasted for 18 months but then suddenly didn't maintain proper voltages anymore when it was cold, resulting in constant reboots until it had warmed up enough. It was tested, found to be faulty and 2 weeks later I got a new P9.
Number 2 was my current Dark Power Pro P10 850W, which failed to maintain proper voltages from new, but in this case the temperature didn't matter. It would just suddenly reboot the PC. It was tested and swapped right away seeing as I returned to the store in the first 7 days.
So for me they are a bit hit-and-miss. If they work they are really good though.

I was really surprised when I bought a power outlet watt meter how little my machine used. My whole desk 2x Displays a 1700 and and an RX480 fully pegged was about ~600W the power point. I should have turned off the displays and checked.

Im am running a 1100W PSU which is way overkill it seems.

Still good to have wide margins.

The reason being that as PSU's and components age and go through heating/cooling cycles the power supply stability will degrade proportionate to a variable of the load and component rating over time.

Call it over-engineering by design.
A overspecced PSU will remain stable and more reliable for longer even accounting for possible faults and degradation over time.

So OP will be good with a 500-650W PSU.
I'm currently running a 650W Corsair single rail PSU in my ASRock X370 + 32Gb + 1700X + RX580 Build with 4HDD's + SSD.
If I stress it to the MAX I can get ~400Watt