Can MacBook Air handle Virtualization well?

So I don't know about the other Dell Linux boxes. But the xps works out of the box on any up to date distros. Ubuntu works fine and fedora I know from other people works fine.

Think part are also a good choice but you have the ms tax on them. It depends if your bothered about buying a machine with an OS that's not Linux (even if you plan to replace it's worth considering). Dell's Linux line of machines have done really well

1 Like

Also as a mention here, a good laptop can be of any age. If you want help looking at older laptops thats my game. I don't know ANY of the newer hardware outside of macs and a few servers (and amiga's). BUT, BIOS laptops are totally my game. I can help there if you're willing to go back that far.

Other than that, find a y40-70 or something like that. GREAT wifi (AC) and you can install linux, OSX ( https://forum.level1techs.com/t/why-in-the-world-hackintoshes-y40-70/111683 ), whatever. Plus you get a GPU that is around a 260X. They go for cheap on craigslist because people break the hinges. Easy fix with superglue.

1 Like

I'm so shit on hardware that I get stuck finding what I need. I don't know my g280 from my 7200rpm

2 Likes

Make a list of everything you need in a laptop. Maybe even include stuff that you want in a desktop. I'm sure we can find a pile of stuff :P

1 Like

That's why I was looking at Mac it's unix (BSD) bash and probably works out of the box. I just need a solid laptop for sysadmin that's it. Nothing more -
I don't game, i program because I have to, and just want to know I have the horsepower and equipment to get the job done. I'll troubleshoot my machine - I've used Linux long enough now, but this is my first 'real' investment in a professional machine. All my other boxes have been hand-me-downs. Low risk.

I'm not rich, but I'm willing to invest, just looking for the right machine.

1 Like

Have a look.

1 Like

Purpose of machine. Admining Linux servers when I'm away from my desk via ssh and often times VPN + SSH.

Tools I use: CLI RHEL, Bash, gnu tools and vim.

Ok wishlist:

Must haves
- realiable wifi (understanding there are constraints here.. nothing is perfect)
- not winderz
- bash shell
- ability to run at least 1 full Linux desktop distro as VM ( reasonably well again VMs will never appear native)
-Ethernet port 2 USBS
- 2 hours battery life during simple admining of servers

Close to must have:
Ability to run above VMs plus 2 CLI only CentOS VMs simotaniously.

What I don't do:
Video/picture editing,
Gaming,
Use any IDES

Please appraise my machine:

Processor: Intel Core i5-7440HQ (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.80 Turbo, 6MB 45W w/ Intel HD Graphics 630)
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics
Screen 15.6"
RAM: 8GB, DDR4-2400MHz SDRAM, 1 DIMMS (wtf is a DIMMS?)
HDD: Half TB 7200rpm
Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 8265 Card (802.11ac_BT 4.2), 2x2 (better than Dell Wireless 1820 Card (802.11AC Dual-Band WiFi + BT 4.2), 2x2???)

OK - Too much, not enough, right on? Any advice?

1 Like

That lappy is fine. If you really just needed something to do that stuff you could even get a pentium M and remote into shit (only I'm crazy enough for that). Yeah, that'll work. Whatever.

anybody who uses a mac for more than 3 months will know more than most mac people

2 Likes

will work great

A DIMM is a memory module. One bar of memory. One stick of memory. DIMMS is just writing the plural wrong. Meaning: You have 8Gb RAM in single channel and could upgrade now or later with a second memory module (or DIMM as we just learned).

CPU looks fine, Intel VT-d and everything. I'd opt for the intel card. Although it needs kernel version 4.6 and up. That driver is proprietary as far as I have understood it.