Can MacBook Air handle Virtualization well?

Intel and Atheros :D

Get an intel chipset and you will be golden.

I'm starting to feel I'm never going to get a decent unix laptop...

Aww don't be like that :3 Technically UNIX by itself isn't really around anymore. You have Linux, AIX, OSX, and BSD. AIX is about the closest you can get without specifically going through and getting something like an SGi system emulator, if such a thing exists.

I feel ya though. I'll never have an amiga laptop for def 3: you have a better shot at it than I do with what I want.

Linux, BSD, unix - I'm a simple man with simple needs --- why can't a brother just get a bash shell and reliable wifi?!?!

What about the dells w/ Ubuntu? Do these suck with wifi? It says I can get intel chipset wifi?

Eden was looking into those dells with Linux pre-installed I believe.

Or at least I think I remember reading that.

1 Like

ok I'll pester @Eden for this one....

Mr Eden - I'm stuck, any thoughts on a machine with bash terminal and GNU tools with realiable wifi out of the box?

1 Like

You can change the chip. The boards are fairly accessable. On the xps line specificly the 15 is more repairable than the 13 (soldered ram) but both are accessible. You can even do some modifications to them to add in an ssd at the cost of a smaller battery.

The wi-fi works out of the box on the xps on linux. Not sure about other unix'

1 Like

Linux/unix my bad on terminology. Considering a dell.

1 Like

So I don't know about the other Dell Linux boxes. But the xps works out of the box on any up to date distros. Ubuntu works fine and fedora I know from other people works fine.

Think part are also a good choice but you have the ms tax on them. It depends if your bothered about buying a machine with an OS that's not Linux (even if you plan to replace it's worth considering). Dell's Linux line of machines have done really well

1 Like

Also as a mention here, a good laptop can be of any age. If you want help looking at older laptops thats my game. I don't know ANY of the newer hardware outside of macs and a few servers (and amiga's). BUT, BIOS laptops are totally my game. I can help there if you're willing to go back that far.

Other than that, find a y40-70 or something like that. GREAT wifi (AC) and you can install linux, OSX ( https://forum.level1techs.com/t/why-in-the-world-hackintoshes-y40-70/111683 ), whatever. Plus you get a GPU that is around a 260X. They go for cheap on craigslist because people break the hinges. Easy fix with superglue.

1 Like

I'm so shit on hardware that I get stuck finding what I need. I don't know my g280 from my 7200rpm

2 Likes

Make a list of everything you need in a laptop. Maybe even include stuff that you want in a desktop. I'm sure we can find a pile of stuff :P

1 Like

That's why I was looking at Mac it's unix (BSD) bash and probably works out of the box. I just need a solid laptop for sysadmin that's it. Nothing more -
I don't game, i program because I have to, and just want to know I have the horsepower and equipment to get the job done. I'll troubleshoot my machine - I've used Linux long enough now, but this is my first 'real' investment in a professional machine. All my other boxes have been hand-me-downs. Low risk.

I'm not rich, but I'm willing to invest, just looking for the right machine.

1 Like

Have a look.

1 Like

Purpose of machine. Admining Linux servers when I'm away from my desk via ssh and often times VPN + SSH.

Tools I use: CLI RHEL, Bash, gnu tools and vim.

Ok wishlist:

Must haves
- realiable wifi (understanding there are constraints here.. nothing is perfect)
- not winderz
- bash shell
- ability to run at least 1 full Linux desktop distro as VM ( reasonably well again VMs will never appear native)
-Ethernet port 2 USBS
- 2 hours battery life during simple admining of servers

Close to must have:
Ability to run above VMs plus 2 CLI only CentOS VMs simotaniously.

What I don't do:
Video/picture editing,
Gaming,
Use any IDES

Please appraise my machine:

Processor: Intel Core i5-7440HQ (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.80 Turbo, 6MB 45W w/ Intel HD Graphics 630)
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics
Screen 15.6"
RAM: 8GB, DDR4-2400MHz SDRAM, 1 DIMMS (wtf is a DIMMS?)
HDD: Half TB 7200rpm
Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 8265 Card (802.11ac_BT 4.2), 2x2 (better than Dell Wireless 1820 Card (802.11AC Dual-Band WiFi + BT 4.2), 2x2???)

OK - Too much, not enough, right on? Any advice?

1 Like

That lappy is fine. If you really just needed something to do that stuff you could even get a pentium M and remote into shit (only I'm crazy enough for that). Yeah, that'll work. Whatever.

anybody who uses a mac for more than 3 months will know more than most mac people

2 Likes

will work great

A DIMM is a memory module. One bar of memory. One stick of memory. DIMMS is just writing the plural wrong. Meaning: You have 8Gb RAM in single channel and could upgrade now or later with a second memory module (or DIMM as we just learned).

CPU looks fine, Intel VT-d and everything. I'd opt for the intel card. Although it needs kernel version 4.6 and up. That driver is proprietary as far as I have understood it.