Can MacBook Air handle Virtualization well?

Truely appreciate it aremis- but

It's gotta be a laptop. My Linux workstation kicks ass - it's when I'm not at my desk and need a laptop my life sucks.

1 Like

Gotcha gimme a sec. Hope you don't care about age...

Dude, if it can run a Fedora vm and has realiable wifi and a decent support life - I don't care. I'm not a status person I just want to do my job right.

PS - I'm very uncool IRL (and probably here too), a new flashy Mac won't change that. Anything works.

I just want more people to dev on OSX so it expands the tools on it are trash.

1 Like

Not sure, but Mac guy at Best Buy said
Macs are have a life of 5-7 yrs - if that's 2012 you think it'll stop getting updates this yr?

Nope. It has an i7 with SSE4 so it can run Sierra. He meant that normaly people who bash them around and let them overheat kill them quickly. And even if it gets pushed out of OSX you can hack it and make it run newer OS's anyways.

(Ex: See here - https://forum.level1techs.com/t/to-hackintosh-a-macintosh-mac-pro-1-1-with-el-capitan/108587 )

1 Like

@FaunCB is much more knowledgeable than Mac guy at Best Buy. He's more knowledgeable than some Apple people lol

3 Likes

I mean no disrespect

2 Likes

You flatter me. You should offer wine first, kek.

2 Likes

One slight addition, I use MBP at work and I would say the WiFi is far from perfect. I use a LAN cable when ever possible, SSH drops out all the time so I use screen when moving around. Maybe a cheaper laptop with a proven decent WiFi would be as good as a Mac but but could run Linux. It's alot of money for it not to be perfect.

1 Like

Is it worth getting a new Mac w/ x2 the ram but a weaker processor for $100 more?

If it has an SSD and 4 GB ram you can probably rely on the SWAP as a backup source of ram. Same as linux or BSD.

Dangit Rodders! You just have to destroy my life (jk). Does anyone make decent wifi for unix?!?

Intel and Atheros :D

Get an intel chipset and you will be golden.

I'm starting to feel I'm never going to get a decent unix laptop...

Aww don't be like that :3 Technically UNIX by itself isn't really around anymore. You have Linux, AIX, OSX, and BSD. AIX is about the closest you can get without specifically going through and getting something like an SGi system emulator, if such a thing exists.

I feel ya though. I'll never have an amiga laptop for def 3: you have a better shot at it than I do with what I want.

Linux, BSD, unix - I'm a simple man with simple needs --- why can't a brother just get a bash shell and reliable wifi?!?!

What about the dells w/ Ubuntu? Do these suck with wifi? It says I can get intel chipset wifi?

Eden was looking into those dells with Linux pre-installed I believe.

Or at least I think I remember reading that.

1 Like

ok I'll pester @Eden for this one....

Mr Eden - I'm stuck, any thoughts on a machine with bash terminal and GNU tools with realiable wifi out of the box?

1 Like