Can i use arch linux for gaming?

I do.

Steam / Lutris works fine.

I’ve run Blizz stuff in the past (not recently so can’t speak to that).

I have found maintenance etc to be fine, but I’m rather familiar with Linux and pretty comfortable with Pacman now.

Running rolling release can mean some problems, so be prepared for that.

Sure you can, ive used Arch for my main rig for 1 year (gaming and work), works as good as any distro, after all the stuff you need is installed, and some tweaks are done.

I`m a Linux newbie tho, so dont take anything i say as facts

surprised you had problem with nvidia driver on Manjaro

for a desktop pc usually only need to select ‘non-free’ driver option from boot menu of Live ISO and driver gets loaded before installing

if you had posted any details about this on Manjaro forum they could have helped

but best of luck with Arch

1 Like

Actually this what i did wrong, i did just roll the free drivers. Consediring dualboot with manjaro or solus, both are great and rolling releases.

Manjaro with XFCE is fine & never breaks - occasionally (like once a year or so) you have to rebuild perl modules for AUR packages but I put instructions for this on Stack Exchange.

See my notes for new Linux users linked here .

For gaming I have 2 monitors / usb switch & a vfio setup in Manjaro. It’s a lot less hassle than fiddling with proton settings for every game. You will save yourself a lot of headaches getting a cheap AMD GPU & passing through your Nvidia card to a Windows 10 VM. Passthrough a USB 3 controller to the VM & buy a cheap USB 3 hub for extra ports & a cheap 2nd sound card for the Linux host (cmi 8738) passing through the motherboard sound to the vm for less latency. I have other info sprinkled around on a few posts.

Also dual boot Windows & keep a bootable USB stick handy. Read & follow the recommendations of the Arch Linux Wiki & you will be fine.

Have fun learning Linux ;o)

1 Like

Chris from his channel Chris Titus Tech has used Arch a good bit of his one year dealing with linux distros and is often uploading youtube content involving linux and gaming. He might have the answer you’re seeking. I forgot which distro he’s rocking currently or most often in the recent months if it’s just one.

This is only solution how im gonna use linux as a host OS, tired manjaro but new games came out, they fished me to wipe the linux dualboot and continue with bloated legacy of Bill G… My friend has an vfio setup and i would say, thats the only way i could switch but i need to invest some money on it (monitor arm (for 3 displays) and have a 2x 1080p 60hz screens, i own one 144hz purely for gaming). Manjaro was awesome but the gamesupport drove me a way bit. Honestly im more interested upgrading my gpu than my already good setup gear.

I’m currently playing natively in Steam / Manjaro:

• Alien Isolation
  • Hitman
  • Dying Light
  • Dirt Rally
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Doom

& am quite impressed with the performance (using an Rx 560 4GB)

I’m now tempted to look at using proton to run games without a vm.