Can I use a duel nvme pci adapter in a dell r710?

If this is not possible can anyone recommend me one that has duel ssd support that works in the dell r710 ?

I also want to be able to still use the H700 raid controller with with 6 2tb hard drives…

Found this link on dell forums, someone had an issue with a quad nvme card from dell, maybe it’s a place to start.

One reply in the post says that one card worked, but UEFI had to be used with steps on how to achieve this.

Btw the server is running proxmox

UEFI Boot is also enabled…

I was looking into this myself with my r710. from my research is no. the r710 does not have pci bifurcation so you end up just seeing one out of the two NVME drives.
its a real bummer

1 Like

Is there something I can use on amazon.ca that will do 2 ssd’s at least in the dell r710 over pci ?

Can’t say for sure, and have no means of testing. I’d look into a SATA raid card or something like that if there aren’t any better solutions and the upgrade must be done?

Would something like this work?
https://www.amazon.ca/Sedna-Express-Extended-Connector-Included/dp/B07L5SPWNV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=duel+pci+ssd&qid=1554595152&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

Don’t think so. Snipped from product link "PCIE disk is supported ( Your mother board BIOS need to support this feature ) ". To me it sounds like it’s not a controller as such, it’s an add-in card which allows for alternative PCIE storage.

Is there anything that would work though… Also someone said that it worked with there IBM x3650 M4 server so…

Would this work ?

Hello,
I’ve got a 6-drive Dell R710 using a pass-through HBA adapter and wish to use PROXMOX with ZFS.
Would like to add two SSD drives (mirrored) that can serve as both boot diskpool and ZFS cache.
Have been looking around for PCIe adapter cards but am getting lots of mixed messages as to whether this is doable.
Have you had any luck with either SSD adapter cards or NVME adapter cards?
Regards,
TCB

I never tried it because I don’t want to spend money on something that doesn’t work that will end up doing nothing. But I would like to know if anyone got it working as well

Just wanted to share this for future reference -

In situations where the system does not support PCIe Bifurcation, you can use a PCIe card with an on-board “switch” to resolve this.

The Ableconn PEXM2-130 is an example of one of these cards. These are more expensive, because they have an on-board PCIe chipset, instead of just being a passthrough card.

1 Like

Thats cool. But lol its expensive $500 CND. I actually dont really need ssd storage anymore because I have another server with ssds where I run gameservers. But I will keep this open if any one else is thinking about this