Can I put pins on a bga cpu and put it in a socket?

I’ve been staring at a pentium m 778 on ebay for months. Only thing is, its bga. But, with some voltmods, I think I could really get it to crank some clock. With clockgen, I could probably get 2.8-3ghz. Much better than 2.13. All in one laptop.

Would this work? Thanks

No. Because pins are not created equal. What may be a RAM address line on a particular pin for that BGA package, might have a totally different function on another socket. I suggest to get a data-sheet of both the BGA and a regular socketed version of the Pentium chip and compare pin-by-pin if their functions are equal. If just 1 pin differs, you’re screwed if you try anyway :roll_eyes:

As stated above, directly no, but I have seen multiple Mobile intel CPUS that are BGA soldered onto a PCB that translates the pins to LGA so you can put mobile CPUs in desktop motherboards. *These also need bios mods to work.

So maybe something like that exists, but its a big gap in years to find something that niche and old now.

Gunna check the address lines

Assuming you can make an interposer, sure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.