Can I build a streaming PC using core 2 quad q6600?

Hello, I wan to build a streaming PC using core 2 quad q6600. Can a q6600 system capture 1080p video from my gaming pc and stream it to twitch and youtube ? If it can, please suggest me about the ram, motherboard and capture card.

PS: I am low on budget.

I don’t know a lot about streaming games so take this with a pinch-of-salt. I suspect that by the time you kit out a build, even with second hand parts, and then fit a video capture card into the q6600 system, it would have been cheaper to buy a video-capture device designed for game streaming to your current PC.

If you are thinking of using the q6600 system to perform the video capture/upload direct then you would still need to stream from the gaming PC to the q6600 PC. In which case it’s probably simpler to do it direct from the gaming PC, even just using the software solutions.

I’m sure someone who actually knows about this will be along to confirm and point you in the right direction.

…anyhow, the q6600 whilst old is still viable especially if overclocked. If you can get it to approx 3.5 - 4GHz it won’t feel too far off more modern architectures for general windows apps. I believe most of the mobo’s from that era will need DDR2 ram and will max out at 8Gb maximum, some might only be good for 4GB since 32bit OS’s and 256 & 512MB Dimms were still current when the Q6600 was released.

I got rid of my q6600 once it was an obvious bottle-neck to the GPU. It was just about good enough for my AMD HD6850 and was ditched when I upgraded to a HD6970 and saw little benefit - and was unable to OC due to my crappy Dell mobo.

1 Like

what framerate and bitrate

I dont know, acceptable frame rate and bit rate for twitch.

What do you plan on using to capture? You can encode with an nvidia GPU if its new enough. OBS has NVENC support and you could for sure use just about and CPU for the task.

That would be 60fps in meh quality, I guess? I doubt you can get away with CPU encoding alone on that chip. :frowning:

2 Likes

blyat.
let me find some quad core i5 in 2nd hand market.

Coming from never trying it. If the capture card does the heavy lifting in encoding. I dont see why a Q6600 could not send that stream to twitch or youtube etc. If the CPU needs to transcode what is captured too another format in real time I doubt it.

There was a level 1 review on dedicated device. Still it comes down to budget.

1 Like

Well, i can’t not invest large amount of money on capture device. It’s a simple HDMI input. I have a core 2 duo processor, no motherboard. If this thing seems like a good option, i.e input from my gaming pc, transcoding and uploading, then I will invest a 40 $ motherboard and a 30 $ capture card.

So you get the idea.

A Q6600 and no MB / no capture card and no ram. Price err budget is what ?

I have a Q9550 of which is slightly more powerful than the Q6600 and I’ll be honest, if you’re looking for 720p streaming? then maybe. 1080p unlikely.

You have to remember that you are probably running DDR2 and have very limited bandwidth on the chipset. So even if you had a capture card and a gpu to handle encoding, you will probably see a significant bottleneck.

I would personally say it’s not worth it.

2 Likes

Thanks !