Can anyone help me

i went to install windows 7 and deleted the partitions prior to initating install ... so i am left with only bios w/ secure boot enabled & i am unable to disable it ... so i can't load an iso ... windows 7 or even boot n nuke ... but i can run tails from a flash drive ... what do you think my solution ?

Turn off secure boot. It's a neat feature when it works, but it's not worth the headache trying to get it working when trying to reinstall.

how bo i do that?

There should be an option buried somewhere in the UEFI/BIOS. Where exactly it is or even specifically how to do it differs motherboard to motherboard. Also if you can't find it through trial and error, do a quick google search containing the model number and either "disable" or "turn off" secure boot. Some OEM's do some weird stuff.

i did that ... set a supervisor password ... changed boot to legacy & it wont boot win7 or mint

Can you double check your boot order? If that's not it, do you have a way to rewrite your bootable flashdrive?

yes i have another computer with unetbootin ... but it dosent recognize the iso

Are you just putting the iso on the drive, or using a program like rufus to write it?

1 Like

i am using a program like rufis

Mash F12 (that's the most common one, could be different, google helps if it isn't) to manually select a boot option? If that doesn't do it, I'm out of ideas.

thanks, i'll try it.

No.

2 Likes

do you have a link to mash f12

the F12 key on your keyboard, are you trolling or are you serious?

hahaha i thought you were serious

I am.

Are you?

i'm fucked! i have nothing but a bios on my computer and it wont l let me load an os ... so , yes i'd say im serious.

So you go into the bios and change the boot from the primary hdd to your usb (make sure its plugged in when in bios). Or for my computer its f11 to quickly change the boot device.

I'm assuming you have the usb plugged in and its just ignoring it on boot?

What cpu is in your computer?

yes it is ignoring boot ... and i have set boot priorty to udb flash and sill it ignores it

In your bios settings for boot devices does it show some as being UEFI and a very similar option without the letters UEFI? because you probably want the latter. If you have an option for disabling UEFI entirely it will probably be labeled CSM. If you have another computer to make a USB drive on I would suggest you make sure that you're got it made correctly. I dont really like rufus myself but if thats what you know how to use go for it...otherwise use YUMI. YUMI will let you put windows 7 and mint on the same USB anyway so its a win win. Though Its not quite UEFI compatable.