Can any computer systems engineers tell me about their jobs? Considering it as major

It sounds pretty cool that you can program and work with hardware. I’m in my second semester in college and am considering going down that path vs. MechE.

Do you enjoy your jobs?
How versatile is the degree?
Do you wish you had done anything differently?

Do you have a link to a curriculum. It’s been crazy this last couple of years with universities inventing new labels for a particular combination of courses, I haven’t been keeping up.

My gut tells me it’s likely it all boils down to software engineering + something else sprinkled on top, either some management in some cases or possibly some computer engineering / logic circuit design in this case probably.

Oh, what I call software engineering is computer science with less maths (basic calculus only), less advanced algorithms (maybe just a single machine learning course) and more soft skills like project management, just so we’re on the same page.

Here’s the curriculum. It’s hard for me to do research on this major because most places/job sites list computer engineering as what you described it as. But this seems to be more hardware based, mostly EE with some CS sprinkled in.

I am a Sr. Systems Engineer. Working in this position many times requires me to work with any number of coding languages, and computer hardware. In short, my job responsibilities are to address any issue that arises. In many cases, issues are simple and can be corrected with minimal effort. Other times, a configuration change within some software solves it. Rarely, I am required to write SQL or Powershell scripts to resolve something. Very rarely, I may find myself having to add a captcha to a website or something similar.

Systems I commonly work with:

• Microsoft software
    • Office 2013/2016
    • Azure AD and Office 365 (exchange online)
    • Server 2012/2012 R2/2016
      • Print Servers
      • Active Directory/Group Policy
      • RDS Farm w/ Remote Apps
    • MSDN w/ Visual Studio Pro
  • Manage Network Infrastructure
    • Switch Configuration
      • VLANs
      • OSPF Neighbors
    • Firewall Configuration
      • NAT Policies
      • Intrusion Prevention
      • Website Whitelisting
    • WiFi AP Management
    • Maintain IP Phone System
  • Website Maintenance
    • HTML, CSS, PHP
    • IIS and Apache
  • Creating and Correcting Reports
    • Crystal Reports
    • SSRS
    • SSMS CSV Exports
  • Antivirus and Helpdesk Software
  • Maintaining EDI Transport Capabilities
  • Workstation Hardware
    • Desktops, Laptops, Printers (Thermal and Laser)
      • All Standard PC Peripherals
  • Server Hardware
    • 1u and 2u Servers
    • Solid State DAS
    • 24-bay NAS on a SAN

The job is a lot of fun, I am quite happy to have it.

I am a Computer Engineer in the works currently. My university has a cooperative education program which requires us to work for a year before graduating. In that time I have worked with:

• Algorithm development for optical metrology and chemical detection systems. Worked in a variety of languages (C#, Python, MATLAB, Mathematica)
  • Control Systems for Microsatellite Systems. Got to design and implement a custom testing framework for automated benchtop tests.
  • Developing an embedded system to provide vintage race cars with telemetry for dynamic tuning.

Overall, I love what I do. Your curriculum very closely mirrors what my university’s is and I can say that it certainly makes you flexible in the workspace.