Calling all wifi wizards

I dont know the situation in the mine and distances involved, but remember that Ethernet has a max cable run of 100meters/328ft.

So if we are discussing power cables needing to be run and to run Ethernet with poe cables alongside or just no power cables and poe only, it could be a situation where to go down a mineshaft with ethernet you would end up running dozens of switches along runs as well. Now I have no idea how long these mineshafts being talked about in this situation are, I just did a quick search for mineshaft length and found wikipedias list of deepest mines, most of these are over a mile deep. Now given these are the deepest, Im guessing average is half that? Maybe be optimistic and say a quarter of a mile? That is still 1,320ft which would mean 4 switches in that one run to a deep access point.
Each of those switches would need to support the poe input and passthrough, as hopefully not take too much power and draw it all away before you even get to the AP as well. Or you could always use a single fiber cable only and have a power cable running alongside, and just have a single switch where the AP is located that converts from fiber to poe over copper.

I donā€™t work at a mining company but their mesh points are supposed to be client devices + mesh nodes all-in-one. They are powered off of 12/24v and you just strap them to a machine or a power supply of some kind and you are gtg is the selling point. They act as access points as well as you can hardwire Ethernet clients to them. Their higher end units are like 2+Gbps if throughput in ideal scenarios so they are billing themselves as a higher end solution compared to a lot of Indusrial IoT solutions.

The company I just started at does heavy equipment automation for construction. We are trying to decide if we want to become a system integrator for this Rajendra stuff. Idk if I really see the application for us since conventional construction sites are pretty open and would be relatively easy to wireless set up but it might be something to keep in my back pocket for front cases.

Are we talking about mineshafts or the open pit strip mining kind?

If you can power them off the equipment and create an ad hoc mesh while machines are driving into and out of the site then I think thatā€™s a real use case for this solution.

1 Like

The salesperson is using a poor example wifi 802.11b is extremely slow because it uses the most airtime per packet. It does not force modern APs to the lowest common denominator, it just steals more airtime than other wifi modes.

The plan there is suspicious, because if the back haul is 5Ghz, it is at adisadvantage at distance compared to 2.4Ghz. The line of sight better be perfect for 5Ghz backhaul, or using directional antennas .

Like 802.11s or batman-adv meshes, ā€¦ jeez I so want this model to work, this would be so awesomeā€¦

I donā€™t think itā€™s more reliable than just a bunch of fixed infra, which I think would still probably be cheaper to put up and maintain.