Calling all Ubuntu Users

So as we all may know especially if you are a hard core ubuntu user, The team is transitioning to Gnome as the user interface. Quite frankly I really like gnome and kde equally so as far as their choice goes its generally a good one. Unity while finally becoming a good desktop environment is not as good as its gnome parent.

Now if you have been on linux as long as I have or possibly @wendell you know that a big part of any transition is beta testing and lots of work not to mention the fact that you simply cant include everything and you definitely cannot make everyone happy.

If you are a courageous linux user or simply love ubuntu enough to give up the normal stable release to test out the new version then I see that as a good bit of help you can do for the developers.

Having pushed a couple commits to fedora project and openSUSE in the past it feels good to be helpful.

Check out the article below
https://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/

If you are feeling really courageous you can enable proposed packages. Make sure when the "Ubuntu has experienced an issue comes up you submit it completely"

If you are technically inclined and have a fix you can likely find what they are working on in the community contribution find a task below
http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/find-a-task/#!/toplevel/quality

That being said I do not work for canonical nor was I told by their community to put this here. I just like the direction Ubuntu is headed and I would really like to see all those who like Ubuntu to see a good release in 2018 . I know this forum is full of technically inclined people so Id thought I would see if I could get more people interested in an opensource project. Not to mention its a good environment to further coding and operating system knowledge.

WTBe a official tester?

Good Place to start. Fair warning ahead of time you will need a launchpad account and ubuntu account on their discourse etc :slight_smile:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Tester

Here are some documents broadcasting that news

Otherwise

Lets talk what you think the difficulties will be in the switch? and if you decide to share your testing experience or what you are testing keep it in this mega_thread lol

5 Likes

This is good stuff. I wouldn't mind potentially sacrificing stability to help out Ubuntu with this move. Last I heard, though, they planned to absorb the Ubuntu Gnome team. If that's still the case, I have high hopes that this transition will actually be relatively smooth.

1 Like

It's about time Canonical got on board with a moderately decent UI, and ditched their half ass'd concoction.

Although, I'm still a MATE guy myself.

1 Like

This is that long time thing I have been waiting for. Sounds like I shall be returning to Ubuntu Desktop after about a 7 year hiatus. So much I had switched to other Debian based distros. Count me in on helping out with this move.

Oh by the way, hello guys, I am Gillymomo. Long time PC and Linux enthusiast. Love the youtube channel. Expect to see me around here more often.

1 Like

Quite simple: I don't want Gnome. I don't like it's inconsistencies, I don't like it's flow, I don't like how it wastes precious vertical space for this ridiculous gigantic client side decorations, and I don't like having to install a collection of extensions that may or may not survive the next update.

Said this, I fully appreciate other people adore Gnome. That's why they are probably on Gnome already. For me the situation is simple: it is one flavor less. No matter how you look at this, that's loosing a big option from a user perspective.

1 Like

You can still use *buntu of your choice.

But having the extra manpower from gnome could push Ubuntu to another level.

Even if they chose KDE I see the change beneficial over pushing development of unity.

4 Likes

Are you on the 17.10 daily?

I may join in the next few months.

That's the one that's going away. Although not immediately.

I also have been running ubuntu MATE I like the desk top and it just works.

It is interesting to see the things said about gnome. I often find these opinion are rooted in a certain revision. Gnome runs quite well and its become quite the integrated desktop with the cloud which is more then I can say for gnome 2 or its forks. Nautilus integrates with google drive something which has been impossible or very difficult on linux. It makes sense. One less option sure but canonical made Unity for its vision of conversion and "reliance on the cloud". Gnome now serves 99 percent of the purpose unity did. The wasted resources in the division does not make sense to a company like canonical.

To each their own I personally kind of despise MATE... if I need a lightweight desktop I go for XFCE.

Now as to the positive comments. Its an exciting time to see Ubuntu finally not be so divided. This is why I stayed on OpenSUSE for so long.. they had a solid collective and rather undivided team. Since ubuntu unity and ubuntu gnome are ubuntus biggest development teams desktop environment wise seeing them combine is a very big boost not only to gnome but to ubuntu's push forward being the user friendly linux distribution. Which honestly it is. The setup took a couple clicks of the next button on its automatic setup and its easy to integrate with all your accounts.. Given 17.10 is in daily build it still was extremely stable which was to my surprise.

anyways yeah its totally worth testing if your a gnome and ubuntu fan

still dont like gnome. after using it for hours on kali just to open fucking terminals & gui applications (animations are so slow and useless / i need a less ADHD provoking enviornment)
wont care.

still the windows vista of linux --CANCER

Isn't it like Ctrl+Alt+T or something?

I used Ubuntu Gnome for a while, and actually used Gnome on some other distros, only to find what I thought was handy Gnome feature must have been Ubuntu as it didn't do some things... shortcuts for handy stuff.

I don't think there was anything terribly wrong with unity, but I preferred Gnome when I was using a Linux machine.
oh, I think I used Gnome Tweak Tool to speed up animations, halved their speed from memory.

I prefer Fedora with the Cinnamon desktop GUI. In my opinion setting up Linux this way gives you the best noob experience. The most up to date repositories and the familiar Windows experience.

highly subjective. and i realise this isn't a thread for DE wars and other such tribal wanking on, but my point is that this brings me back to the point i've alllllllways made, namely that Linux distros live or die ON CHOICES AVAILABLE TO THE USER. Canonical was guilty of sausage grindering their userbase into Unity, which spawned Mint and the various *buntu flavours as a backlash because people like what they like.

but more on topic is the fact that again, Canonical are making the fatal mistake of forcing change on people. I don't like Gnome, i don't want to use Gnome, and since they're not offering Unity any more, Ubuntu proper is completely off the table for me now. this is a problem Canonical are going to face when people who are comfortable with Unity will likely abandon their distro until a Unity option is presented.

of course, the counter-argument is that Calonical has been so blase about the desktop part that they likely won't be too bothered.

It is in Ubuntu Gnome. Not when running Gnome on say Fedora. So you're right that the Ubuntu version is configured differently.

My desktop of choice has long been Cinnamon. Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch whatever, as long as I can run Cinnamon all is well.

I've tried the new KDE/Plasma 5 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, not a bad desktop, not bad at all. Gnome might be in trouble if they don't shape up. Budgie is going to use Qt too soon. Latest Qt updates has the beginnings of Vulkan support. The future is bright.

1 Like

Thats pretty cool.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the Gnome 3 desktop.
However if Ubuntu can make their own spin of it,
and make it distinctive enough, then it could be something great.
But if they just go out and just trow plain Gnome on their Ubuntu base.
Then its not for me.
Maybe it might have made more sense if they went towards a QT based desktop.
If i look at the current Buntu´s, Kubuntu is allready fully fledged kde of course.
But other Ubuntu´s also heading towards QT.
Like Budgie, and Lubuntu.

I loaded up 17.10 on a usb and its... not great. I was expecting pure Gnome, but instead its a Frankenstein of unity and gnome.

No tweak tool, self explanatory.
Windows are plain Unity with no options to customize.
And this should go without saying, they've retained all of the bloatware.
Is Location services really that interesting and convenient to include in a desktop operating system? I think not.

I guess this is why people get flustered with Canonical.
Seems like I'll be sticking with Ubuntu Gnome for now.

I think they maybe going the route of fedora unfortunately

Do you think they'll finally fix that bug that locks the root user account with no password during install before they make the switch to the new DE?