Call of Duty gaming community points to ‘swatting’ in deadly Wichita police shooting

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article192111974.html

Jesus that story was a roller coaster of sadness. The article didn’t release their age so I can only assume they’re younger than 16, how sad that these kids are willing to swat each other over a 1$-2$ bet. This is why parents need to be more engaged in what their kids and what they are doing online.

5 Likes

Livingston didn’t say if the man, who was 28, had a weapon when he came to the door, or what caused the officer to shoot the man.

He was 28.

1 Like

Taking bets on how long this thread lasts

3 Likes

$2 for until I get swatted.

2 Likes

that was the guy they shot, I was talking about the dumb kids that were arguing and made the swat call

2 Likes

Ah, yeah. Given that he’s just known by his online handle, they probably couldn’t find his age. In US, you can identify minors by age and gender, but not name unless parents give the okay.

2 Likes

The innocent individual that was shot was 28. The person shot is not related to the situation between the 2 Gamers involved. A fake address was given/spoofed and the cops were sent there. an inncoent uninvolved person was shot and killed.

There are so many layers of wrong in this ordeal…

Just to further tangle the web woven…

2 Likes

They need to find the idiot that swatted the victim and try him as an adult. Give him the maximum sentence that they can. No deals or plea bargaining.

Idiot needs to learn a lesson. Be it as draconian as it is.

4 Likes

I agree. Make an example out of him and spread the story globally. Let people know that it’s not just a harmless prank.

3 Likes

We all knew that it was only a matter of time before swatting resulted in someone’s death.

5 Likes

Apparently the Police shot an unarmed man just to add to this story…

“It’s my personal belief that I didn’t cause someone to die,” said the man Friday during an interview on the DramaAlert YouTube channel.

“Of course I was involved,” the man told DramaAlert. “The call was made by me, but as far as the whole incident, you could point the finger at a few different people. You could point the finger at the cop that shot him, you could point the finger at the guy who made the call. You could point the finger at the person that gave the address.”

In this case, the caller told Wichita 911 that he had shot his father in the head and was holding his mother and a sibling hostage. He gave 911 Andrew Finch’s address, acted as if he was in the house, and told the dispatcher that he had a black handgun and he was not going to put it down.

But the caller wasn’t in the house. And Finch had nothing to do with the feud between two gamers that led to the fake call, said his mother, Lisa Finch, and gamers online. Some gamers have said the caller didn’t know the address he had wasn’t for one of the two men involved in the feud.

“Someone tried to swat me and got an innocent man killed,” the intended victim said on Twitter.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re saying they shot him knowing he was unarmed.

I’d say it’s too early to know for sure, but in a situation like that, you’re getting ready to deal with a hostage situation. At least, that’s your knowledge of it. That puts you in a certain mindset.

It’s a consistent detail from several articles out about the story.

Not sure what you mean by that.

I know he was shot, I know he was unarmed, not contesting that.

Whether or not he was shot because the officer (swat member? not sure about the correct title here) was reacting to someone opening a door and startling him or if the officer did it on purpose is what I’m reserving judgment on.

There is still much more to come from this story as the caller has apparently been captured. The caller also appearing on a Youtube video prior to being arrested could further convolute, distort things.

I as well.

Interesting. I hadn’t read anything past the article in OP.

Sorry mate, I misunderstood your statement with the other post, I think. I get a bit touchy on these situations because I’m in a big Law Enforcement family and lots of people jump on the cops are wrong bandwagon.

Apparently apprehended earlier today, The ‘caller’ made an appearance on a youtuber’s show, ‘Keemstar - Drama Alert’

My fault, I leave things very open-ended. I like to express details, let people formulate their opinions from there. I usually don’t express my opinion, unless compelled to…

1 Like

This is why I stopped streaming. I want to, and every once in a while I do, but at random I’ll get 75 people and I have no mods to manage shit.

1 Like

Yes people are idiots and false calls happens, but all I’m thinking atm is who the fuck shoots to kill before they’ve analyzed the risk of the target, confirmed it and checked the surroundings where they’re spraying bullets.

1 Like