std::cin.get(); 
    return 0;
}

MyClass.cpp

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "MyClass.h"
#include <iostream>

MyClass::MyClass(){}
MyClass::MyClass(int x, int y, std::string word)
{
	_x = x;
	_y = y;
	_word = word;
}

std::string MyClass::getName() {
	return _word;
}

int MyClass::getSum()
{
	return _x + _y;
}

MyClass::~MyClass(){}

MyClass.h

#ifndef MYCLASS_H
#define	MYCLASS_H

class MyClass
{
private:
	int _x;
	int _y;
	std::string _word;

public:
	MyClass();
	MyClass(int x, int y, std::string word);

int getSum();
	std::string getName();

~MyClass();
};

#endif

I cant get it to work, the debbuger just shoot me in the foot…
I cant get it to work with strings. I wasted like 2hours trying to get it to work/learn about classes in different files. Then i backed up a bit i did one with just int and it worked out. So i got back to strings again and now ive wasted like 30min on it…

Best regards!

PS ivent took the time lelarning this with c++, “classes in different files”. Always feelt so overwhelming. Coming from c#, you just create classes and start using them…
Isnt possible to create classes in c++ without the .h-part? I mean its probably 2-3years away that i would really need that anyway hehe

Take out the quotes from name.

Still cloning your project, but that’s the first thing I notice.

Hello Thanks!
Try¨’d it right away, no luck…

Hm, weird… I’m not the “it works for me” kinda guy, but I did want to show you just in case :slight_smile:

Try cleaning up the headers a bit. I added string, and just declared the std namespace globally.

I removed using namespace std;, added all the stds back (lol), and it still works. I think you’re just missing #include <string>

2 Likes

Thanks mate!

Yepp that did it: just added #include ‘string’ in the .h file it it all works now…
didnt have to put in the main nor the MyClass.cpp…

Is it supposed to be like that?! wt

Why does it work without "#include " in main for example?

thanks!

To bad i wasted a millon hours on that lol!

1 Like

Because you’re importing the header file into main.cpp. So, like in C# when you declare using system.Collections;, you don’t have to declare all of the Collections objects from that source.

At least, I think :slight_smile:

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at C++. I miss it a great deal, apparently. Sorry my answer isn’t more elegant or technical. Maybe someone with deeper knowledge can answer.

Hey, same boat. When I was in CE, I raged and it was usually a typo lol. Visual Studio just said Error x8082221

2 Likes

haha yea… :smiley:

I kinda buy that explanation, BUT it “did” work before(and after) i put the "#include " in the .h-file(i mean no errors in the other two files…) while not having it in neither main & MyClass.cpp … hmm i dont know…

Gonna remeber this now at least hehe

PS mabe its included via #include “stdafx.h”?

1 Like

You’re code worked fine for me…

It works because the string-header file is included in main.cpp indirectly, through myclass.h, which is included in main.cpp.
The error you mention in the original post indicates that you’re missing the #include for the string header file somewhere.

It is not possible to create C++ classes without the .h part. You can put the implementation of your class into the header file and skip the cpp file, but that’s a bad idea for various reasons (compilation time, multiple declarations, etc. see this link for more info: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/583255/c-code-in-header-files). It can be useful for trivial classes or functions. your code would look like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

class MyClass
{
private:
    int _x;
    int _y;
    std::string _word;
public:
    MyClass(int x, int y, std::string& word): _x(x), _y(y), _word(word){}

int getSum(){ return _x + _y; }
    std::string getName(){ return _word; }
};

int main()
{
    std::string name = "Herrow";

MyClass myclass(27, 32, name);
    std::cout << "myclass " << myclass.getSum() << std::endl;

std::cout << myclass.getName() << std::endl;

std::string iGiveUp;
    iGiveUp = myclass.getName();

//HERE LIES THE problem: "no operator "<<" matches these operands
    //operand types are: std::ostream << std::string"
    //         v
    std::cout << iGiveUp << std::endl;

std::cin.get();
    return 0;
}

Thanks but i had already found the issue, the issue was that string was not included in the h-file.
Sounds weird that it worked out for you( if you had the same setup as i did :S ).
The problem with that is that i hadnt include strings in any of the files, but it worked in 2 out of 3 files. The one that didnt work was the header file.

So my idea was that maybe it gets include via #include “stdafx.h”?

Best regards!

You actually can it is just VERY strongly recommended against. As long as you declare everything above the main it will be fine. I had to do this for my CS classes when my teacher only wanted one file. It’s just plain gross honestly.