Bypassing windows vista log in password

So as it happens my friend forgot his admin password on his old vista pc that he did not use but he still have some docs and pictures on pc which he wants back. So after gooogling around I found I can use programs like kon-boot are made for this. Are there any more simple ways then using bios and booting these special 3rd party hacking programs?

Boot from a Linux Live image and transfer the files over an external drive or USB drive.

Can you explain a bit how would this be done?

Create a bootable USB drive using rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) using an image of Ubuntu or any other Live Linux distribution, plug the USB in, set the BIOS to boot from the USB stick.

Once Ubuntu (or the distro you choosed) boots, do not install it. Select "Try Ubuntu". It will now boot into a Live session, from there you can navigate through the harddrive, locate the docs you need to copy, plug in another USB stick or an USB harddrive and transfer them over.

You might also try just to boot to safe mode, maybe there is an administrator account without a password.
If so, then you could change the password from your user account via the admin.

Other options, Hirens boot cd.

I tried safemode didnt seem to be anything there that could help bypass it

Then you can boot hirens boot disk.
There is a tool to reset windows passwords.

More info here.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

1 Like

Whether it's from a boot CD, boot from USB, or install/boot from another harddrive, or even installing another version of windows onto the same drive (not really recommended, but it doesn't seem to have any problems that I know of) they can all get access to any unencrypted data on the machine.

If you still want to access the Windows OS, you can replace the Accessibility wizard executeable in the windows system folder with something like cmd.exe, and next time you boot your OS, click on the accessibility icon when on the login screen and it will run the command line prompt/console— bypassing the login. From there you can start up explorer and such.

I don't recall what stuff —if any Windows Vista encrypts by default,but I think that it's just any user data, and nothing else.

I have used hirens to reset the windows password before. That's a pretty good option.

You can also try cracking the password with Ophcrack.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Please be good and use this with the best of intentions, not with malice.

1 Like

Not sure if it still worked in Vista, but I know XP had the Administrator account with no password. It wouldn't normally show, but if you went into safe mode, it was there and you could reset passwords. That could be the easiest solution if it works.

Ok ty guys hirensbootcd worked like a charm konboot works great to bypass and password cleaerer did great job after I mastered saving changes.

1 Like

I'm late to the party but here is what I do when someone wants data from a computer that won't boot or can't remember the password. I have a Linux box that I build from spare parts and a really cheap USB to SATA cable. Haven't come across an instance where I couldn't access the data yet. From there I either just put the data on a USB or reinstall Windows and put the data back on the drive.

good to read ☺

1 Like

Konboot

Boot to USB, it will then boot Windows. You just press enter at the login screen.

(basically it prevents the password check being loaded at boot and as a result anything entered will be correct)

Ok , i remember that the NT password tool can be used to remove login password on your computer , then you are able to bypass Windows password to get into your computer without inputting password ,

Closing as necro. Putting this one back to sleep. If anyone would like to continue the discussion, feel free to create a new topic thread and link back to this one.