Buying old CPU on aliexpress?

Hello there,
I am looking at upgrading the CPU from my mangled together HPe dl380 Gen9.

Right now i have a couple of E5-2640 v3, and i am looking at getting a couple of E5-2667V4 which are the highest clock and most recent officially supported.

That’s just context but isn’t quite necessary. i’ve found that many well reviewed seller on aliexpress are offering “old” CPU for way cheaper than i can find on ebay (in this side of the world at least).

I was wondering how bad this could be … if it work it work right ?
Did anyone bought cpu from there ?

It could be one of three things:

1. The item is a scam, where they don’t actually send you a working CPU. I’m not sure how likely this is on AliExpress, that’s just something you have to do research on.
  2. It could be an engineering sample CPU. Which may or may not work in your motherboard, and may have missing features (like no turbo).
  3. It could just be cheaper, which is possible.

Not really familiar with these enterprise stuff. Are they EOL/about to EOL? CPUs usually die much much later than the motherboard so CPUs tend to flood the market more readily when its motherboard dies.

GPU mining was recently banned in china, so these could be liquidation sale of sorts.

Chinese business practices are different, more relational than western counterparts. So unknown/new customers are treated much more harshly and returning/frequent customers are granted discounts/better products. Say 90% of their product is known good/functioning. Its not really a toss-up between good and bad - the frequent/returning customers are given the “good” 50% of the stock while the new/unknown customers are tossed with the 40% good+10% bad stock. Just be extra nice to the vendor like a favored relative before buying and maybe he wont give you the bad 10%. Be rude and cold and you will surely get the 10% bad stock and wont hear from them again.

1 Like

Ali express has good CS so if they screw you over they will generally refund you.

2 Likes

This is the thing that make me want to try it.
Almost all of the “enterprise” cpu i was looking for on there are 30-50% off the ebay cost. Plus they have stock, it’s not a single one.

But if someone already try it and had only bad experience i might want to hold back :smiley:

In my dealings with vendors on Aliexpress over the years I had 2 orders never arriving and that’s about it. The other 60+ were processed quickly and every time the seller delivered what was advertised. Paying with credit card gives you some leeway as you can cancel the transaction if Aliexpress refuses to pay back (which rarely happens, they usually side with the buyer as a lost customer means lost revenue, traders aplenty, especially in China :wink: )

Pro-tip: check how long the trader is active on Aliexpress and what rating they have. If they’re less then a year active, start with a low-value item to test their services. Ratings are also very valued there: traders will often ask to give them the full 5 star rating. Anything less means a loss of face and in Asian culture, that’s deadly. Sometimes literally.

2 Likes

“Open 7 year(s) Top Brand 96.8% Positive feedback”

i’ll give it a go as soon as the car insurance took my 2 month of salary away :smiley:

I find AliExpress to be reliable, they are very conscious of the thoughts of Chinese companies and they try hard not to be that.

This is definitely a possibility but as with above, it is pretty good now about people labelling things exactly, you just might have to really carefully and closely to be sure as the translations can be a bit odd sometimes.

Yup probably this.

I have seen western tech tubers cautiously recommending AliExpress for things like the newer AMD G CPUs which are OEM only here for now. I have not bought anything that eh… expensive (200 was my max so far) but everything I got and tech stuff has all be accurate and good quality, or exactly the quality of something the price I was paying should be expected to be.

Shipping takes forever, 1-2 months, sometimes 2 weeks if you get lucky. Don’t order near February if you need “speedy” deliveries.

Tl;Dr You get what you pay for, Customer Service is good, no reason to distrust them, use what ever payment method gives you the warm fuzzies.

2 Likes

They don’t take hot chocolate milk with marshmallow as a payment method, so i’ll go with credit card, less warm and fuzzies, more cold and corporate :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback

3 Likes

Two or so years ago I got an ryzen 1600 from there and it was fine. I have also upgraded decade ols laptops with cpus from Ali.

If the seller has good ratings nd has been in the game for long then go for it. Aliexpress has some very good buyer protection policies.

2 Likes

Good luck not getting scammed.

The go to person for this kind of stuff is Bryan from Tech YES City. Try to contact him on Twitter so he can give you his reputation rundown and how to look for scammers.

2 Likes

I got scammed once on AliExpress buying a really cheap set of Key caps… the customer support was direct as fuck, they didnt give a fuck about the seller and legit just refunded me pretty fast.

I buy a lot of stuff on AliExpress never had any issue outside of getting the item 3 months after ordering. I started using Taobao never had any issue so far, so i legit have no clue about customer support.

1 Like

I would never suggest buying a cpu, ram, hard drive, power supply, or motherboard from aliexpress.

If you are going to buy something from aliexpress, you might consider a fan, or a pc case. but that’s about all I would ever consider buying for a computer from that site.

I’d argue against that. Aliexpress is just a portal/marketplace. Just like ebay etc. Would you buy from ebay? Most people have no problems buying from a data-hoarding American marketplace with dodgy vendors but have issues with an Chinese marketplace, that also has dodgy vendors. Yes, Aliexpress certainly has dodgy vendors, but I’ve already given tips on how to prevent getting scammed earlier in this thread.

1 Like

Out of interest. On what basis do you say this.

The site is too easily abused when it comes to shady sellers and lack of recourse to actually recover your money if you get scammed. Unlike a more official storefront where you can usually get your money back, aliexpress has less consumer safety measures in place for the customer.

Sure if you are an expert at making good judgements and have a significant amount of ordering experience and feel comfortable with your skill at sniffing out scams - then go ahead and order whatever you want.

But for the vast majority of people, I would never suggest ordering anything electronic from a site like aliexpress. Too many scammers out there these days. Especially in the computer market right now with how desperate everyone is for parts and how much margin can be made through shady tactics. (I even warn people on proper usage for sites like amazon due to third party sellers there abusing the system) - better to spend a few dollars more and have a lower chance of being scammed due to consumer protection policies sites like amazon, newegg, best buy, etc. offer.

While I agree you do need some common sonse, read the listings fully to he sure whats being sold, something I would do regardless of site I buy from.

As for the support? I have nonidea what you are basing that on but in my experience they have been very quick to.solve issues and offer refunds in the very rare occasion(s), it think it was only once, that I needed to do that.

The other side of that is that competition is fierce on AliExpress, there are so many people selling the exact same thing usually from the same supplier that they will bend over backward to come up good in reviews. It is to the point that a bad review can end a sellers store front as the same thing will be sold by someone else with better service. Every customer counts to these sellers and they will not screw you for the same for 5c or so in the difference on price. They almost always know what they have and the prices are usually very close between sellers, it is cut throat between them and the customer gets treated great as a result.

Been using Ali express for years now. I had my reservations at the start but I have tested things in sensible and slowly increasing the value and pushing the boundaries of what I would have been uncomfortable buying there when I started. It has always been a good experience. More so than I can say for eBay and amazon, let alone a lot of independent websites and sellers.

2 Likes

For example, Linus did a video not long ago where he ordered a processor off Aliexpress - and the cpu had been de-lidded and swapped out, so the coverplate of the cpu looked entirely legit, but the cpu itself (under the lid) was an entirely different processor and was not even compatible with the same socket as what it was marked for!

So sure, even if you are super careful, and look at pictures etc, you could have a cpu delivered that is properly marked, and is Still not actually the cpu you wanted because the lid was swapped out.

Basically it’s buyer beware on a lot of places, almost like going to Vegas, and if you are putting your money down, you need to be prepared to lose sometimes.

And there were countless stores of returned CPUs on amazon with nothing in the box at all, or maybe a picture of the CPU on the side and come nuts and bolts to feel heavy.

Welcome to commerce online. No where is safe and Amazon are not your friend.

1 Like