Buying a bike. Suggestions?

one with wheels.

Test ride as many bikes you can. Even if your dead set on a cruiser try riding sport bikes, naked's, adventure bike's, touring bike's, supermoto's. You might change your mind.

2 Likes

My first bike was a 2006 Honda Shadow.

I can't really fault that bike, and everyone I ran into seemed to like it.

Indian :)

1 Like

I hear Ducatis are good. Pricy though.

Just kidding, idk much about bikes so just (I guess) "buy what you like".

Well do you have a license yet, and what state or part of the world do you live in?

I appreciate the help from all of you. I ended up getting an 08 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide. I love the bike and it feels right. As a rather tall person it gives me plenty of room to stretch out, plus I don't tend to be affected by the wind as much. I got my license recently, along with all my gear. I'm off to ride around Texas (or at least the town I live in for now)!

OMG U GOTZ TEH WRONG BIKE! HARLEY = ;OIAHWREG;AW!~!

Seriously though, congrats! Even though I'm not a Harley guy myself, I am extremely jealous! Don't have a bike yet, and while Harley isn't on my most wanted list, I'd take that Dyna Superglide in a heart beat if it meant I could just get on the road!

Good looking bike! Now post some pictures!

EDIT: Wow just realized how old this post was!

This. Most riders with some experience and well tamed ego will tell you exactly this.
Can't tell you how many times I've had someone tell me that they NEED a 1000cc sportbike for their first ride. Insert reason here. You don't need it, and for now, you don't want it. Learn to ride, then learn to ride something challenging, if that is what you want.

A cruiser is a good choice. Just keep in mind, if you would be completely heart broken if you dropped it, it may not be a good choice for a first bike.

2 Likes

I started 4 years ago on a Honda rebel 250, I then rode my mom's vstar 650 for a bit until we got a garage find Virago 920, Once i had the money (and skill level) to get my own bike I got my Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic w/ custom paintjob and i shit you not, dumped it on my first real ride of the thing. It didn't damage the bike at all (just a couple scrapes) but it was certainly a lesson to adjust to the bike before riding it like I rode the Virago. Every bike is different, find one you like and that's comfortable for what you want to do with it. Safety should always be the main thing you think about when getting a bike.

This. I cannot stress this enough. If you get a first time rider on a bike like this there is an extremely high probability they will get themselves injured/killed. Get a good starter bike then work your way up. You wouldn't give a first time shooter a derringer 45-70 you give them a .22 rifle or a 20 gauge because of the same principal

i have to go against this. its really up to the person. i started out on a R-1, then honda 750 cruiser, now back on a r-1 and sportster 1200. i wish i would have never wasted my money on the honda.

A. im 6'1 205. the honda was absolutely way under powered. however im used to driving nothing but V-8's. since i was young.

B. if you do any sort of highway riding it just simply isnt powerful enough.

im strictly against this "start off small theory" if you are 16 then yes. if you are mature, dont even. as foar as buying a sporster i wouldnt really look at them unless you are living in the city. they are more short range bike. its great for where i live in los angeles/hollywood, however if i was back in the southern states where im from, it wont do for long rides.

for new riders, take a riders saftey course first then hop on your own bike. nice grabbin a superglide. thats a nice bike.

Necro serial.