Buy Vive now or wait?

Wanted to get opinions. I really wanted to get a VR headset and don’t want to give FB any of my $$$ so Vive it is. Is there any reason I shouldn’t buy a used one now in case something new is in the works that’s vastly superior or should I go for it?

And what’s a good price for a used one nowadays so I don’t overpay?

I’m not sure about a used VIVE but the standard kit is only $499 now so keep that in mind while you are looking at buying a used one. There are a lot more HDM’s out there now other than the VIVE and Rift with better resolution. I wouldn’t buy one of the first gen VIVE’s right now unless you just get a great deal on one since they are not compatible with SteamVR tracking 2.0 base stations.

The VIVE Pro works on both 1.0 & 2.0 I believe but it’s still $799 for just the headset. I haven’t used my original VIVE enough to justify spending another 800 bucks on just a headset that only has 30% increase in resolution. It still uses those fresnel lens with the ridges that I’m not a fan of also. The Rift and GearVR have better optics in my opinion. The lens are smooth making text and edges crisper.

Just going to float another option. Windows Mixed Reality.

I got the Dell visor a month ago and it’s been great. It was by far the cheapest VR headset in the UK, plus I got cooperate discount :money_mouth_face:

The Samsung Odyssey is supposedly the best WMR headset.

In a nutshell. It’s pretty much plug-and-play, has “inside-out” tracking so no need for lighthouses etc. And has a higher resolution than the standard Vive and Oculus. Has worked flawlessly with every Steam VR game I have thrown at it, and many have official support now.

Few drawbacks are tracking behind you isn’t as good, and the “sweet spot” on the lenses is smaller.

Just thought I’d mention it just in case, like me, you were unaware such thing existed.

1 Like

Thanks, but not interested in MR. just VR.

The Windows Mixed Reality headsets just do VR, most of them don’t support AR

I see, so teh controllers are tracked by the headset. me no likey :confused:

Which is why i was looking for something like the vive with the cameras

Yea, if the controller leaves your field of view it disappears. LowSpecGamer had a video where he used one, and it didn’t seem to cause very many issues; but I’m sure there there would be some use cases where it wouldn’t work. I can imagine multiplayer VR being very janky as a result.

I’m personally really happy with mine.

I also bought it used for $350 CAD($270ish USD) and it was in quite good condition, just needed a good scrubbing.

I went out and bought the “upgrade kit” which is just a set of the clear lenses from the GearVR and it was definitely a welcomes upgrade. I have a 3d printer so I was able to make the adapters but if you don’t have access to a printer you can find them cheap on ebay along with the lenses. I would say it’s definitely worth looking into.

All around the Vive has treated me well. The software is easy to setup as long as you have the right settings enable on the base stations(this had me stumped for a few minutes since I had them on a/b instead of b/c which is what I needed). After that it’s worked perfect. It tracks quite well even when I’m turned away from the sensors so no complaints there.

Not much else to say, I’ve really enjoyed it so far and if you can find a cheap used one I would say it’s worth it =)