Buy Palit RTX2080ti & replace fans &cooler?

I am in a bit of a pinch as I need 11GB of VRAM and faster GPU. (1070ti atm (8GB Vram)
I was thinking to invest into Palit RTX2080ti as it is one of the more reasonable cost options, but the fans and the card build quality looks a bit questionable for heavy use.

Is it feasible for a common folk such as me to even think about buying that replace the heatsink and fans for better air cooled version?

Or should I just invest more to more robust looking solution? Reliability would be factor for me. All I know, I don’t know if Zotac would be any better build quality wise though.

I use my PC to make money and for my workflow its pretty much a disaster if the card breaks during work. I know it might be reasonable in my case to buy a proper Quadro but the price is just a bit too rich for me atm.

What kind of workload are we talking about?

A Radeon VII has 16GB vram and quality-wise a better cooler. While it’s been outgunned by the 2080 super in gaming performance, it is my understanding that it’s still quite a good option for compute.

You could probably get it for 600usd or below in the coming months(?).

At the moment I use two programs, Maya and Substance Painter and iRay. As I need iRay for my workflow (I need to be able to raytrace the models with multiple textures without needing to export & refresh to other app) I guess NVidia is the only option.

Most important is the ability to manipulate very high polycounts in Maya viewport as best as possible. I can foresee that it is the requirement for my future works as well.

I also run 4K display which makes everything worse but I kind of need it I feel, for high detail work.

If you must haveth the 2080Ti, I’d buy the cheapest blower version, trash the blower-cooler and get something like this for my sanity-

1 Like

I could also get 1080ti. It has same amount of VRAM.

I’m not too familiar with ray tracing compute, but since the 1080Ti is a GTX and not RTX, isn’t it probably missing some ray-tracing features that was the reason to reject the Radeon 7?

Oh not really, the RTX is the realtime stuff.
1080ti can still do the ordinary not-realtime raytracing which the iRay uses. RTX would be definitely more future proof though.
For now I think 1080ti might make a difference in my case.

According to this a 2080ti would pretty much give you a 2x improvement in render time in IRay.
If you have time and want to tinker arround (and got an AMD GPU at hand, allthough Nvidia may also work) you could look into using AMD’s ProRender instead.

As far as I can tell, Maya does not care about the GPU as much.
Anecdotal evidence suggests Nvidia cards to work better with it.
PDF of certified/tested GPUs for Maya

Stick with EVGA for Nvidia cards.
Or buy the reference “founders” card and mod it with a cooler like the one @CybeastRaystriker posted.

With all that said, get a quality 2080ti

2 Likes

I couldn’t find a 120mm version of those cooler for 2080TI, dunno why.

1 Like

That is a non-A chip 2080TI

1 Like

As we are looking at productivity here, OC is not an option.

1 Like

Also gainz are not that great. A “blower” 2080Ti with a decent cooler barely performed any worse than a Kingpin 2080Ti in the GamersNexus video, if I am not mistaken

2 Likes