But can it run Crysis?

German site ComputerBase did some interesting Benchmarks 10 years after its initial release.

Google translate for the lazy:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerbase.de%2F2017-11%2Fbut-can-it-run-crysis%2F

Interesting TL;DR: Even current gen hardware struggles at maximum settings (though remember that “very high” is technically not the maximum setting, since “extreme” was removed pre-launch).

Of course one would argue that the engine wasn’t really and is not really optimized, but it’s still impressive how this looks 10 years after.

1 Like

Ah cryengine, optimization level 1%.

2 Likes

Pretty hacked together back then, but it was amazing compared to any other engine on the market at the time :smiley:

True, the graphics was impressive, though I found the game to be lackluster.

Lazy Game Reviews said it best:
‘CRYSIS starts off as a great game, turns into a stupid game and ends as a good game.’

I did my own test.
i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz + 16GB RAM + GTX 1070.

Can it run Crysis

Here is a tip:
If you turn V-sync on (the screen tearing was giving me epilepsy) CRYSIS locks at 24 FPS.
I had to make a custom resolution of 1916x1080p using Nvidia Control Panel and when I selected that in game it uses 1920x1080p at 60FPS.

I had never played it before because no way could my PC run it at the time.
I loved CRYSIS 2 and CRYSIS 3 was too hard for me.

didn’t like crysis 2 from gameplay perspective at all. the map design was horribly linear. story was fine though.

TBH I mostly liked Cyrsis 2 because I’m from NYC and back in the 1990’s I thought of making a game just like it.

I’m so glad i came across a black label SEALED, BRAND NEW copy of Crysis: Maximum Edition. Found it on eBay and i’m so glad i got to finally experience Crysis, and just in time for it’s 10 year anniversary. Got it back in June. Awesome game. My 960 runs it without a hitch. I only had some odd loading problem. I think the game is very unoptimized in just one specific area. More like broken outright, really. Something to do with offloading vram and buffered vram and turning it into actual graphics… The game would always freeze when loading into new areas. Well, most of the time. And periodically freezes for about 5 seconds.

Great game. Just wish they took it further in terms of story and they could have EASILY, EASILY made it a bit more complex game. And a smarter game. Could have borrowed from Half Life 2. Have some physics based puzzles every now and then. Some platforming. The Nanosuit would have been the CLEAR REASON to do all of that. Such a shame. Could have easily been done. Maximum strength and speed. The two perfect things for some more variety in gameplay… That’s my biggest criticism. But yeah, what an impacting game. And it came out when the PC platform started changing and gaining even more traction. Instant classic. And i’m so glad to have been around and gaming a lot during that time. Everything was changing in terms of hardware and it was so exciting to see it all. Then see the Nehalem architecture be unvelied and released. And all of those benchmarks and people in the hardware reviewing community. Unforgettable.

Hahaha. Those Nvidia and Intel logos during the startup give me a wave of nostalgia every time. Crysis is a piece of gaming history.

:grinning:

IDK… Metro 2033 was also pretty poorly optimized…

And Star Citizen is trying to aim to be the new benchmarking target. But that game uses FP64 positional logic, which would require insane amounts of double precision power. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

Using doubles for the positions of game objects can be implemented in a way that doesn’t require any double precision calculations on the GPU, so this shouldn’t be an issue.

Regarding crysis being unoptimized: Don’t forget that the game has introduced new effects, like screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), is rendering volumetric clouds, etc. New algorithms are inevitably expensive at first as it takes time for people to find better ways of implementing them. Nowadays every game uses SSAO and with so many programmers looking at the problem ways have been found that more than half the computation power required. I wouldn’t hold this against crytek, it’s just the way innovation works.

With that said, for some reason they decided to perform all character animations on the CPU which is crazy to me. (And to them as well, as the changed that with crysis 2.)

The whole engine was/is pretty unoptimized, but it was a milestone nevertheless.

Well the story is continued in Crysis 2 and 3, there is also Warhead which tells the story of Crysis 1 from Prophet’s perspective.
Highly recommend playing them (though I personally didn’t enjoy 2 as much).

“shouldn’t”, so it probably will be :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t it also introduce SMAA? Or am I switching this up somehow.

Can’t be, as SMAA was released in 2012.

http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

Yeah I saw that too after I posted it. I think they had some fancy anti-aliasing in there too, but might just be mistaken.