Business PC

My father called me today. He wanted advice for new desktops  for his office. Not sure what to tell him. I mean i3 is all he really needs. But he has i7 stuck in his head. I would like to have your opinion on what pc he should get. He just uses it for sage50, emails, word documents, viewing pictures and videos. I'll take any suggestions.  Thank you

any reason why AMD isnt an option?

Nope

Any reason not to use an APU? A budget would have been nice!

Also when you said business I just instantly went itx

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/chKwpg

you could even downgrade to an A6 or A4

Serioulsy accounting can be done on some turd laptop from the mid 2000's

just put an Intel Core sticker on the outside of the case. lol

Here is a good build. Kewldude007, A business machine needs Windows 7 Professional since business machines usually connect to a domain which you can not do in Home Premium. The alternative is to run a Linux distro like openSuse which can connect to Windows Domains and AD but costs $0. 8GB of RAM for 64 bit or else put in 32bit OS. Most likely, the AC wireless board is unnecessary. Unless the network is running on AC wireless, it will go to waste. If they upgrade to AC in the future, the minipcie slot on the board can be upgraded to AC.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZtLGwP

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZtLGwP/by_merchant/

• CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.98 @ Newegg) 
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($95.24 @ Amazon) 
  • Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.98 @ Newegg) 
  • Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
  • Case: Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($136.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $507.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-27 20:15 EST-0500

Need budget.

Ok he never gave me a budget, I asked multiple times and his reply was "I want it fast like my Asus Laptop which is a i7". I got nothing against AMD infact my personal rig is all AMD. Just thought that entire single core stuff was more relevant in the business aspect. He will not switch to Linux, tried to convince him but he doesn't want to waste his time learning a new OS when trying to make money.

Thank You for you input it is much appreciated.

Try to explain to him, that laptop i7 is nowhere as powerful as a solid desktop i5, other than that, if he doesn't do anything that needs killer single-core performance, I would go with AMD 6-8 core. Multitasking with that is a breeze and light on your wallet.

Thanks, yes I think his problem is he is trying to multitask and the pc he owns right now just can't handle it. I also suggested he reformat his pc but he is not to keen on that. Thanks for the advice

Intel NUC with an i3 + SSD + RAM. Done!

My dad loves it.

Since you're already building a new computer and his workflow may change on desktop (in comparison with laptop) you might try to set him up with Linux in dualboot. If he only does what you stated, download Ubuntu (or any other reasonable distro) and 25 minutes of installation later, voila - he's got secure, fast, free (as in speech as well as in beer) productive desktop experience.

If you are unsure about how to make this transition as painless and elegant as possible, linux community is glad to help... or I could walk you through the valley of OSS :)