Business NAS build

Alright, after a lot of searching I have found a reseller that has that mobo. But the dual 10gig that Beve has costs $750, has only 4 sata connectors, while the dual 1gig with 6 sata is $520.

HGST is gone my dude

Better off getting an extra Seagate, and going z2 for the same price…

If that’s USD? … ahahaha, no.
For the price difference up to 10G you can get half of the machine as per your spec.

(hmm, I wonder if one can build a universal cheap network KVM using a rpi and that $15 capture usb2.0 capture card /me goes perusing around github)

1 Like

I’d disagree with this. My freenas box has 6 5400rpm drives in RAIDZ2, old ones, and they sustain 380MBps in large file writes. Any write or read from cache will max out my 10Gig connection.

For an enterprise / business setup 10Gig backhaul to the switch for multiple users is a no brainer, and worth the marginal cost increase given the ~$1000+ cost of the system.

Hi everyone, thanks for your help previously, but there have been a few changes, I’ve updated the main post, Any ideas?

Is descrete hardware still an option? If so I would go with descrete hardware for pfsense, NAS and hypervisor (proxmox).

If not, I suppose proxmox could check all the boxes if configured as such.

A third easy button option for the NAS and access part is Synology. Easy GUI for setting up VPN access, expandable RAID, GUI for when you move on and they need to try and administer it later

Is there different need to know between employees? Version control?

The pfsense router will be be a separate machine (of the shelf or custom build), but the NAS and the VM’s would ideally go on the same. Ye there will be different levels of access depending on the files, but version control isn’t necessary.

And the synology stuff looks expensive in a spec to spec comparison.

1 Like

Yeah spec to spec it actually feels like a rip-off, but I bring it up because of the turn-key nature and ease of use. I use FreeNAS myself at home, but if your internship isn’t something designed to become full time employment at the company, I think a part of the use-case to be evaluated is ease of administration after you depart. In this case Synology is a big win IMO, it has an “even Grandma can setup VPN access, user access permissions etc” type interface vs. FreeNAS can be a learning curve. For example a ‘click of a check box to enable SSL for X service’ vs. FreeNAS + Plugin + pfsense HA Proxy setup to accomplish the same thing.

Some of the higher end Synologies support virtualization as well, both VMs such as Windows and also docker leveraging that Synology is built on Linux.

Food for thought.

There are members here that can probably go into personal setups and details of theirs where they get Proxmox to be both their hypervisor and their NAS(ZFS).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.