Burn W10 ISO using Solus

I want to re-install Win10 to my laptop. Right now I have Solus OS installed but I can’t find how to burn the ISO properly, everytime I do it for some strange reason the USB won’t appear as bootable on the boot menu. Any help or suggestions?

Use etcher.

sudo eopkg install -y etcher

Is it on the repos already??? I was one of the few that requested it some time ago!

yeah its been there for the last month or so. (I think)

Thanks! Will try it and update the thread

Go install xfburn.

1 Like

It doesn’t work. It even warns me before burning the ISO that Etcher is not capable of burning Win10 ISO’s to use instead Rufus, which I can’t.

It isn’t available on the Solus repos

What are you doing to try and burn?

Win10 ISO so I can install it on my laptop

Sorry ill rephrase. What tools or commands are you using to burn the ISO to the USB?

Can’t start to help until we know what you’ve tried.

I have tried “dd” command without any success. Etcher as well, and gnome multiwriter

What was the commands you ran for dd? you need to use both dd and sync for a copy to usb to work properly.

sudo dd bs=4M if=Win10_1703_English_x64.iso of=/dev/sdb1

You need to copy it to the entire USB, so /dev/sdb not /dev/sdb1. You also need to run sync after to completely the copy.

1 Like

Do I need to format the USB to NTFS before using dd?
Then I just run sudo sync?

No you don’t. The ISO has everything you need, ISO is just an image of a file system and contents, you need to burn it directly to the USB no other partitions etc.

After, yes just run sudo sync this will ensure that the system has completed the write to the USB as it is not guaranteed that the system will have written all data when dd finished. Sync synchronizes the cached writes.

1 Like

Okay, will try and update on the matter

sudo dd bs=4M if=Win10_1703_English_x64.iso of=/dev/sdb && sudo sync
This is what I used
1033+1 records in 1033+1 records out 4334315520 bytes (4.3 GB, 4.0 GiB) copied, 100.321 s, 43.2 MB/s
This is what it came out after it finished

Looks right