Built a pfSense box, "broke" my fiber modem

Hey guys,

I recently had my internet upgraded to gigabit. Since my old router wasn't cutting it, I decided to build my own pfSense box out of persuasion from Wendell and Level1Techs.

Setup went without a hitch, I configured the NICs for my WAN and LAN, setup my old router in access point mode, and was super happy with it. That was, until I noticed the link from my fiber box -> my pfSense box was only running at 100BaseTX. I went to configure the WAN interface and decided to change it to use 1000BaseTX. I did what was shown below. (yes, I saw the warning, but from what I read it was only an issue that would affect speeds)

After I did this and applied the changes, my WAN connection coming from my fiber modem just went blank. I couldn't get any lights on the connector to show up, no matter what computer or device I plugged into it. Here is a picture of where the cable hooked into my router hooks into the fiber modem:

No lights, nothing to indicate anything working. None of the devices even recognize they're plugged in either.

A technician is coming to fix this tomorrow, but I'm really just looking into getting to the bottom of this. Is this some kind of protection feature on the fiber modem? Or did I actually just do something really wrong. If anyone has any input on how stupid I am or what they think happened it would be greatly appreciated! I can supply more pictures if anyone would like since I'm only able to add two per post.

Thanks!

Here is a full picture of the fiber modem if anyone can recognize it

Do you have AT&T? If so it looks just like an older model modem we use and they'll probably put in a new one since that one got phased out pretty quick.

I have a local ISP, Cincinnati Bell. This was installed around 2011 so it may just be replaced.

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?
That one looks both crimped... and cheap (not that cheap is inherently bad, but of minimum quality)

I've tried 3 different ones, and I've validated each work. None of them produce anything different. They installed that cable when the modem was installed, and ran it through the ceiling making it pretty hard to replace.

can you get a gigE link out of those pfSense ports if you use a crossover cable or plug into a gigE switch?
can you get a gigE link out of the fiber modem if connected to a gigE switch or differnet NIC?

Yeah, different NICs produce no different result. I've tried on two different laptops and a switch w/ different cables.

so if the fibermodem to gigE switch only lights up 100Mbps, then your fiber modem is the problem.

You've exhausted your troubleshooting at this point. Call for support.

Be prepared for the "we don't support pfSense" line. I got that BS.

1 Like

I was probably unclear but the issue isn't being forced to 100Mbps anymore, it's after I switched it to use gigE, its completely dead now. I can't get to work at all now on any device.

I have a tech coming tomorrow, I'm just trying to figure out why/how this happened.

I'm attempting to keep the pfSense box a secret, so they hopefully replace it for free.

That's all you can do.

Best of luck.

Regarding pfSense.... what I've done is said for them to just demonstrate that it works at full speed with their laptop. You'll be responsible for your router.

I don't know the contract you have or the regulations in your country, but I don't see how that should affect their service. If you can't even get it to work with a standard computer, then it's obviously the modem's fault. After all, the pfSense box is a PC like any other.