Built a PC last year, did I get it wrong?

Logan/Wendell/Pistol/A.N.Other.

I am not a 'pro gamer' but I love my games.

Right now I'm towards the end of Borderlands 2, but Skyrim, Bioshock(s), Fallout 3 etc that sort game is my thing. I had a 6 year old Dell that I upgraded the sh1t out of, basically everything bar the mobo and PSU was changed. It gave me the confidence to try a complete build.

So I built this in Dec 2012:

Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155)

Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Core i7 Quad-Core Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1155)

Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler

Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Blu Memory

OCZ Agility 3 240GB SATA III SSD

ATI Radeon HD 7970

27" Yamakasi Catleap Monitor (similar to your Shimian but much nicer chasis)

It cost me, and my initial budget ran from €1000 to nearer €1700!

I love it, but I think I may have made a few mistakes, particularly with the motherboard and processor. I love this site (the first vid I saw was the hilarious 'ALL THE PIXELS' one) and when you recently read out a list of 'hits' I'd say a lot of the Dublin ones were me.

Like I said, I just play games on this beast so far, but who knows what the future holds for me, I may look into website building in the future. I also got the chip I did to overclock it, but haven't felt the need to yet.

Have I screwed up in my selections and what can I do to more 'future proof' my build?

I think the answer may well involve a better mobo and chip, but I'd love anyone's opinions.

Your mindless minion,

Didihno (Dee-deen-yo)

You know as there's a new processor line-up release from intel each and every year, each improving by around 10% on the last, nothing is future proof.

Looks fantastic; nothing I would change, since you already own everything.

What PSU do you have?

Yeah I'm not aiming for Haswell, whats the point?

But should I have at least gone for a few steps up?

Brennan: Oops, corsair gs800 (the one with the three different colours!)

Your build is fine.