Building Virtual PfSense instance using vlan [solved]

Could you send another shot of your switch settings?
Maybe also the network interfaces of the pfsense vm (on proxmox).

There's nothing to be changed on proxmox assuming you didn't mess with the default settings.

The screenshot from the switch VLAN

At the moment I have pfsense on vlan and the network interface on proxmox as default. I tried both ways hoping that would fix the problem

What does your switch settings look like?

Your switch settings are correct, I even checked my own switch and they match.

It would help if you send a screenshot of what you did on the pfsense vm hardware settings (after setting back the vlan settings on the proxmox side insead) and inside the pfsense assign network interface settings.

Good to know the switch settings are good, these are the screenshots Screenshots

Hmm.. everything seems identical to what I have. Though the 10.10.10.x subset is foreign to me, not sure whether it has part in the issue.

What about the other VMs on proxmox? are they on LAN when you give them a network interface without a vlan tag?

Try unchecking the vlan aware box.

In any case, try giving everything a power cycle and see if it helps.

I cannot reach them without having the vlan set to the LAN. i gave them a powercycle to no avail. And checking or unchecking the vlan aware box doesn't seem to make a difference. How did you setup your proxmox network interfaces?

My setup is the one I used in my examples. Maybe your switch model does things differently.

I think your last option is to tag the bridge interface vmbr0 with vlan7. I don't know how to do that but it can be done clearly but not from the GUI.

Tried that yesterday, it is quite easy. You add a .vlanid behind the slave port. Example: slave port eth0.7 for a vlan7. It does work, I'm able to access proxmox now but now I can't access the pfsense part....and no internet because of that

Ok how about this: create a new vlan just for the proxmox gui, say vlan6.

Create a network interface specifically for it in in pfsense.

Add a rule in LAN interface:
Allow
Source: LAN_net
Destination: Proxmox_net

Now you can tag eth0 with vlan6 without stopping you from accessing pfsense.

Make sure you give proxmox_net a different subnet from your lan.

I don't think you'll need to tag vlan6 in your switch since everything is happening internally in port7.

So...that went horribly wrong. But I've fixed it. I did a complete reinstall of proxmox (wanted to do that anyway) but it still wouldnt work. So I went trough all the vlan connections in my head and didn't get why I needed to tag port 7 on vlan 7. So I untagged port 7 and untagged the pfsense as well. And now it works, So port 8 and port 7 are still tagged on vlan8 and the rest are untagged on vlan7