Building a Video editing and Gameing workstation

So I think I have everything figured out but would love for some input to see if I am forgetting anything.

Right now I am building the system for an even split of gaming and Video editing, I have left storage drives off the build as I have not decided what I am going to do in that reguard as I need to assess how much storage I want local vs on the NAS.

The video editing software I am using is Black Magic Resolve so it uses as many cores as you throw at it can eat up Graphics card Memory.

my main issue is Resolve uses either OpenCL or CUDA fairly relatively evenly so I am stuck waiting to see what Vega brings in terms of performance as I am not in a massive rush to build this other than I want it built by December but I am also not sure if the performance I would get out of say a 1080 or the Vega equivelent is enough of a boost over a 1070 to warrant the price jump.

the PCPart picker link is here http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FHpd6X

What's your display set up?

Also why broadwell-E? It's far too expensive for what you get compared to the 5820K, unless you need capture cards for the 40 PCI-e lanes

there is a potential need for capture and output cards going forward which is why I went with the 40 PCI-e lanes If I get back into short videos the ability to run out to decks or capture footage will be needed. My monitor setup right now is 1920x1080, I am all set there for right now.

like a single 1080p display? 28 PCI-e lanes on the base model seems to be more than enough unless you're running multiple capture devices, that's what 16 for the GPU, 4 for the SSD, and 8 for whatever's left, a single capture device

currently the primary is ASUS 1080p computer monitor and there is a 1680x1050 secondary monitor but this may be swapped over to just 1 ultra wide depending on some things.

in terms of PCI-E lanes if I end up using a AJA Kona product I will be eating 8 for a single capture card. If I decide I want to add on more Thunderbolt 3 or find I need to put in a firewire 400 or 800 card for DVCam Decks or other legacy formats I want the extra PCI-E lanes. I know I am paying more for the flexibility that the PCI-E give me but depending on how serious I get on side I want the flexibility.

Far as a GPU goes, an after market 480 will be perfectly fine for 1080p gaming, just get one with plenty of display port on it
-
-
1080p IPS with VESA mounts, for $100, buy 2 for the love of productivity lol, have 3 1080p displays is going to be more important than anything for video editing, gives you a full window for file management, tracks, and a full sized live preview window

just probably invest in a monitor arm

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/kKYXsY/aoc-monitor-i2269vw

Or $140 for 1080p IPS with display port, it just makes it easier to hook up 3+ displays
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/dV7CmG/asus-monitor-c422aq

-
-

Otherwise maybe look for the EVGA classified board, it has PCI-e out the ass, kind of hard to find now though
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188163

Or maybe the sabertooth X99 board, I think there's been a lot of firmware updates if you see poor reviews

I am going to pass on the 480 as this is not just for gaming and I can easily afford a 1070 once they come off the paper launch barring my AC unit dieing. in terms of the monitors I am picky about them for video editing so while I will be replacing the 1650x1050 monitor its going to be not sure which monitor yet.

but on the motherboards is there something I am missing about the gigabyte that makes it a bad option?

Just that the other ones are pretty top end, and you have a top end CPU, so might as well just deck out everything
-
-

Why the 1070? If you're going to game on a single 1080p 60hz display it would be wholly wasted, the 480 is already overkill for that

Were you able to find like a comparison test for GPU acceleration for your video editing software? In linus's more recent video he found that so long as you run some kind of GPU for Premier at least, the gains from higher end GPUs wasn't much

no clue how well a workstation GPU would help you if any as well

Also the gigabyte board only has 1 Ethernet port, I'm no expert surely, but I'd imagine having one dedicated to your NAS, and the other for the internet access, you could speed things up a decent amount, both the higher end boards there have dual gigabit

Also they make some X99 boards with thunderbolt built in if you're invested in thunderbolt and kind of stuck with it

Linus's video was a good lesson on how Premere works which is to say sloppy when it comes to graphics card integration. Adobe has always been slow to update the graphics card support for Premere and After effects to the point that when i checked 2 months ago there was still are no 9xx Nvidia cards that they fully support.

Black Magic Design Resolve is more current in terms of supporting the 980 and 970 cards along with statements about adding 480 and 1080 and 1070 support in the near future which is why I am looking at the 1070 right now or the Vega equivalent. video Memory in Black Magic Resolve is the real challenge to the point that 8gigs is what is the recommended amount for heavy effect usage at 1080p res.

I kinda am hooked on thunderbolt as it is a relatively common connector standard in the video production world thanks to the abundance of mac's.

Yes, such a sad state of the world....

but ya gigabyte has an X99 board with thunderbolt built in

http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1421

Otherwise does Black Magic support workstation GPUs? cuz that's a thing, and the fire pros at least are relatively cheap for 8gbs of VRAM, course you can't really game on a workstation GPU, they seem built for power efficiency and running a ton of displays mostly

W7100 with 8gbs of VRAM is $650 now, guess they're going to be making 14nm workstaion GPUs soon, the price seems to have gone up with stock going down
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TNGj4D/amd-video-card-100505724

Or does it support Dual GPU configs well?

And how much faster is the 1070 going to end up compared to the 480? Suppose that could be answered by 390 Vs 980ti benchmarks

All I could find was an old marketing video for resolve 10 with fire pro

Also Dat fucking control deck, holy shit.

more marketing

A thread on which GPU for Resolve 12, lots of Titans, due to the 12GBs of VRAM
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40350

The W9100 Firepro with 16gbs of VRAM being $3000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195129&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

the official documents from Black Magic lists Work station cards but from looking at clock speed and a general performance it does not seem like the ones in my price range are as good an option as a gaming cards as double precision is not as big a concern.

Resolve does support multiple graphics cards just not crossfire or SLI. You assign a role to each card and that is what Resolve will use it for so you can put to cards in use one to run all the displays and one to handle the rendering.

I went forum diving over at black Magic Design and the on person who had benchmarked a 1070 put it in the same range as the 480 both are looking like it is promising, in Resolve it's performing like a titan x so i am left favoring the 480 with the new info but for gaming I am still left wondering if the 1070 is going to be better for the long run. https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49713&p=287502&hilit=1070#p287502

Yeah the color correct control deck's get ridiculous, I will probably never hit a need for those beasts of peripherals but they are drool worthy.

Not if your only goal is 1080p 60hz, the 1070 is more of a 1440p 60hz Max Settings card, Though the 480 will still be fairly capable at 1440p. Mostly the 480 just gives you money to spend in other places, possibly upgrading that SSD to the 512gb version, as 256gbs on your primary storage is probably going to run out fast

That is the OS and APP drive the media drives are going to be different I do not know if i will save up for some of the new bulk storage SSD's on the enterprise end or just plan on setting up a raid'ed array of WD Black or equivelent drives. Storage is its own beast depending on how much footage I will end up working with.

Wasn't the plan to keep all storage on a NAS and only import what you need for a project? seems the best way speed wise to keep the SSD relatively empty, and probably just a WD Blue 1TB or something for games

It is definitely one way to go but from how we work in the office with our nas I can see the benefit of using the NAS as the offload point once a project is done as ingest and recorded files can easily eclipse 100gigs a file.

Video workflow + external storage = 10Gbit network.

Oh, and for GPUs: there is no long run.

well the hope is to run this system for 3-4 years with no major mods to graphics cards or processor, the expansion cards will be determined by what end of hoby filmmaking i get back into.

Price to Performance is pretty much where you always want to be for GPUs because they change so much so quickly

Sorry but you would not be playing today's games with a GTX 670. That is the same class of GPU.
Go with something lower like the 480 and accept to upgrade in two years or invest a lot and ... hope for the best.